No announcement yet.
X

1994 Katana new to me.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download Carbs 101. Makes for good reading material. By good reading material, I mean lots of pictures
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

You know you need 4 of those carb repair kits right?

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
        http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...e:Carbs101.pdf

Download Carbs 101. Makes for good reading material. By good reading material, I mean lots of pictures
        Thought it stated to use canned carb cleaner....not good. Use Barrymans carb dip unstead...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          You know you need 4 of those carb repair kits right?
          Don't worry I'm not that much of a noob with a wrench! I ordered 4.

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...e:Carbs101.pdf

I'll download that first thing today. My kits should be here today. I'll also be buying the Manual for the bike today, and skimming through it. Does anybody know if the manual has the wiring schematic, and if not, where I can get one with the color schematics of the wires?

Pictures are always good....most people including myself learn better with them.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Black without a whole lot of gold would be cool.
          I'm thinking I'll do the rims, and all levers in gold with everything else black. That's way into the future though!

So today..
          I ripped out the button that does nothing, did some more research on the bike, and got my headlights to work (both high and low). Also got the tail light to work too. The bike doesn't have turn signals, but I'll deal with that later.

Plans for tomorrow,
          Split the wrap on the loom apart, and go follow the wires to determine which have been altered/ need repaired.

I want to thank you all for your help and support. I was over on gixxer, and got flamed really hard. In fact...my ass still hurts from that roasting! Like I said, my background is extensive in off-road, and I've built my share of 3 and 4 links for jeeps and other vehicles, but electrical, carbs, and motorcycle repair is something I'm pretty green to. With that being said, I'm really looking forward to learning and furthering my knowledge, and hopefully making some great connections with you all!
          Last edited by Covelli33; 08-09-2016, 02:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          1994 katana gsx600f - Frankenstein build.

"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela
          "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you"

Comment

Yeah, don't talk Kats to SS riders. It won't go well. They think the bike is supposed to be something it's not and never was. FYI the bike is based off the early GSXR 750. I guess the engine was so bullet proof they didn't want to give it up.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

He got flamed for talking about stunting the kat. The gixxer.Com guys can be dicks at first but once they get their licks in, they mellow out and are very knowledgeable. I got linked in his posts as the resident kat expert. Lol

It's much more mellow over here, and honestly, you probably would have delt explicitly with me over there. There's been a couple other kat owners come thru there and I usually get referred.

And yes, 92xjunker is right, the carbs101 outlines the incorrect way to CLEAN the carbs. It's a great reference for seeing what they look like inside and how they come apart before. You tear into them, but once disassembled, each carb body should be dipped in Berryman's chemdip for 24 hours, then blown out with compressed air.
              Last edited by maniac1886; 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM.
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

He got flamed for talking about stunting the kat. The gixxer.Com guys can be dicks at first but once they get their licks in, they mellow out and are very knowledgeable. I got linked in his posts as the resident kat expert. Lol

It's much more mellow over here, and honestly, you probably would have delt explicitly with me over there. There's been a couple other kat owners come thru there and I usually get referred.

And yes, 92xjunker is right, the carbs101 outlines the incorrect way to CLEAN the carbs. It's a great reference for seeing what they look like inside and how they come apart before. You tear into them, but once disassembled, each carb body should be dipped in Berryman's chemdip for 24 hours, then blown out with compressed air.
                Yeah, I had mentioned stunting this bike at some point, but hadn't realized it was a front pickup engine. I'm going to have to agree with your comment on this forum being much more smooth and mellow. You all have been great so far, and I'm really appreciative of that.

So, carbs 101. That was a great bit of knowledge on how to pull them apart. I'll make sure I order some berrymans.

My electrical trouble shooting was put on hold today, we just had a gnarly dust storm come in, and it's supposed to be here all day. . I was able to split the loom about halfway, and right as I started looking for the ground feed needing repair, I had to head inside. What a drag!

Comment

Jumped the solenoid. She cranks. So........next up, troubleshoot the rest of the harness. As of now, I know my ground feed is bad because...well, it just aint there! I'm going to split the loom tomorrow on my day off and check each wire feed. I'll be reading through the .pdf manual tonight. I'm really hoping most of the harness can be repaired easily, with butt connectors and new wire. That would save me money, and maybe even time if it's only a few problem wires. I'm having a tough time finding a decent gas tank that's not beat to hell. I may just have to buy one with some dents and dings, and deal with it for now. After all, I'm focused on getting the thing down the road first, before the cosmetics come into play.

Comment

No butt connectors!!!! Used a soldering iron and shrink tubing, do it right
                    Just reseal yours, POR 15 is tough stuff, it comes with patch cloth for small holes.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-10-2016, 12:10 AM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

So I tore the harness apart tonight. It's currently 3:47 am here in Phoenix. I'm pretty aggravated at what I saw. The harness is a joke. Whoever was in here prior to me has ZERO electrical knowledge. I found a shorted connector, 3 or 4 cables that lead nowhere, butt connectors...it's a disaster. I'm not sifting through this harness. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an unmolested harness off eBay. Saving 50$ isn't worth the time or cursing.

Can we also just take a moment to notice the SPEAKER CABLE!!! jumping the fuse bank?! WTFWTFWTF!!!

Theirs a connector with a cable that runs right in front of my shifter. What sensor is That? Edit: it seems that would be the kickstand safety switch. Well, that's getting bypassed either way, so I'll let that one slide for now.

I'll link some pictures of what I'm dealing with. Next purchase....new harness.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                      Last edited by Covelli33; 08-10-2016, 06:17 AM.

Comment

6:00 AM still up. Geez I'm nocturnal..

Bought the new harness. Came directly off a 94, and its 100% unmolested and original. Clean.

Found a gas tank with the sending unit / float, and petcock in great shape (mine is beat to hell, and has no petcock..?

Assuming the harness and carbs being repaired are my only major roadblocks, I just may get this bike running for right about 300$. So far, the price IS still right. It'll always be right, because I've always wanted a katana

So far..
                        Carb rebuild kits- 45$
                        Carb cleaning tool- 12$
                        Berrymans chem dip- 20$
                        Gas tank fuel float assembly and petcock- 150$
                        Wiring harness- 60$
                        Battery- 70$

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          No butt connectors!!!! Used a soldering iron and shrink tubing, do it right
                          Just reseal yours, POR 15 is tough stuff, it comes with patch cloth for small holes.
                          If you were talking about using POR 15 to repair my tank, it just isn't worth it. I'll have to snap a picture of it. It's already been JB welded where the fuel float is...it's really caked up and nasty. The tank itself is in really bad shape. I elected to just buy another and avoid the headache of a potential gas leak and fire.

My photobucket link has pictures of the new harness, the bike as she sits, and the new tank.

Comment

Whats the inside of the new tank look like? Might save yourself a headahce later and precious riding hours if you just POR15 the new one while you cant ride anyway and then you will never have to worry about sediment in the carbs...
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Whats the inside of the new tank look like? Might save yourself a headahce later and precious riding hours if you just POR15 the new one while you cant ride anyway and then you will never have to worry about sediment in the carbs...
                              +1

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                                +1
                                +1 to the +1
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X