X

From too rich to too lean

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From too rich to too lean

Started with syncing. Didn't work with my hanging rpm. So I tore into the carbs and cleaned them.put it all back together and set everything by the book. Now it's too lean. Jets have been changed to 120 and 117.5. Yoshida pipe and k and not air filter. Where should I start? Pilot screws are at 1.5 turns.
    Last edited by Sgt. Dad; 08-17-2016, 10:53 AM.

use stock air filter in stock air box
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

pilot screw should be 2.5 turns out, use a paper filter. Emgo makes a OEM equivilent. After you change the A/F to 2.5 turns out, you should probably re-sync. Then if you still have a hanging idle, the most likely culprit is a vacuum leak. the intake boots between the head and the carbs are known to leak after a while. and make sure you have a good seat on the boots between the carbs and air box. Its easiest to pull the air filter out, and with the airbox off, put the carbs on it, you can stick your hand in the hole to hold the back side of each boot as you press the carbs on and clamp it, then put the airbox and carbs back on the bike as 1 piece.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'm half convinced you're confusing rich and lean. 1.5 turns out on the A/F screws is way too lean though, so I'm not sure what's going on. I won't be able to help you until the OEM air filter is in use and the A/F screws are adjusted properly. Sync the carbs again (VERY IMPORTANT!) and report back.

Comment

having a hard time finding an oem airfilter. I guess its ebay again. none of the shops have one and all say they can order one......so can I assholes. Anyway a/f screw is 1.5 now but I do not see anywhere in the manual where it says 2.5 or I'm passing it by.

Comment

I have to order them also. Keep in mind, it's an out of production bike. Why would they carry parts for them.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yea I know. I guess I am just an impatient asshole...lol I ordered my jets from the same guy and saved on shipping. Also ordered one for a buddy looking for a 210 jet... Emgo filter on the way as well. I need to check the carb boots but when I sprayed them with carb cleaner no flux. however a slight flex when I sprayed one of the airbox boots a slight increase. progress I guess. guess I will get it all back together and see what I can do next.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Dad View Post
                having a hard time finding an oem airfilter. I guess its ebay again. none of the shops have one and all say they can order one......so can I assholes. Anyway a/f screw is 1.5 now but I do not see anywhere in the manual where it says 2.5 or I'm passing it by.
                Arsenic told you 2.5 turns - believe him. I had mine at 1.75 turns and the hanging idle was terrible. I can imagine how terrible 1.5 turns would be...
                2005 Katana 750

Comment

I do not see anywhere in the manual where it says 2.5 or I'm passing it by.
                  It doesn't say that in the manual, I'M telling you that. The manual says "pre-set non adjustable". If you want to keep arguing about what I told you, I'm down.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    It doesn't say that in the manual, I'M telling you that. The manual says "pre-set non adjustable". If you want to keep arguing about what I told you, I'm down.
                    For one I don't know you....therefore I don't take your word for law. Also I had it at 2.5 and it was rich as hell. I tried 1.5 because I had seen it on another forum so I tried it. I am going to go 2.5 again after my jets come in. Chill the F out. Just because I ask for advice and you are the only one that chimes in doesn't mean I have to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                      Arsenic told you 2.5 turns - believe him. I had mine at 1.75 turns and the hanging idle was terrible. I can imagine how terrible 1.5 turns would be...
                      +1

2.5 turns definitely helped a ton and bike runs much better with 2.5 turns. Trust Arsenic on this.....

Comment

For one I don't know you....therefore I don't take your word for law. Also I had it at 2.5 and it was rich as hell. I tried 1.5 because I had seen it on another forum so I tried it. I am going to go 2.5 again after my jets come in. Chill the F out. Just because I ask for advice and you are the only one that chimes in doesn't mean I have to take it.
                        If you don't take it, your bike will run like dog shit. Which is perfectly fine with me chief. You're the dip shit that asked for the advice because you don't know. I answered your question because I DO know. If you think you're better at this than me, knock yourself out McLovin'. Don't be an asshole to me, because then I have to be an asshole to you. I'm way better at it.

Comment

Uh-hem.....first, how could you not know, arsenic is our carb guru? He remanufactures and sells them (I don't clean carbs, I get them from arsenic). Second, chill out fellas...

PS: don't get into an asshole match with arsenic, it come naturally to him. If arsenic give advise, 1) he only gives it when he wants too. 2) it's accurate. 3) running rich isn't an A/F adjustment issue, unless you go way out on the adjustment. It's most likely another issue in the carb that 99.9% won't admit because, they don't want to deal with disassembling the carbs again....and again. We've all been there, at some point you'll just accept it and do what you have to do.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Look first off arsenic my bad. Just got alot of personal shit going on and I'm frustrated with this bike. Fixing the PO's bullshit mess. I guess I let it run over onto the page. My apologies

Comment

Took it back to 2.5 turns runs better but still hangs up. Still not alot of power. Might do a compression test. What else can be the issue for hanging idle. Checked with carb cleaner nothing changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X