X

Cylinder 3 running rich

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder 3 running rich

My #3 cylinder is running rich but 1,2,4 seem fine. Any thoughts? Oh it's an 89 750

The plug gets sooty black after about an hour of riding.

I know the carbs need synced but would that cause one cylinder to run lean?
    Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 08-04-2016, 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Couple. Float needle worn, debris stuck in it or sticking. Float height maybe off, loose fitting float (worn or torn O-ring/seal) or a bad plug or plug wire. I'd include worn jets but, usually they wear out together.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well, I just replaced the o-rings in the carbs a few months ago, I had a problem with the float needle in carb 1 being stuck. I checked and cleaned the other float needles from any debris at that time. I have 02 gsxr COP's how can I check to see if that particular coil is firing?

Duh, I guess I just pull the plug and see if I get spark like normal
      Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Same procedure as a standard test, just use the COP as the wire. FYI you'll have to tape the plug in the COP. Safety first, if the plunge falls out during testing you will feel if it works...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

The bike runs incredible and pulls like hell through all the gears but when it warms up it lags a bit off the line, due to the plug foul I would guess

Got ya, I don't need to feel if it works, safety first.
          Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 08-04-2016, 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You may want to turn the A/F screw back a little to see if it's a mixture issue. Better yet, do the drop down adjustment on them. The procedure is in the WIKI.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Ok, I'll check it out in the morning

Hey, junker, I'm unfamiliar with the wiki, what article is it under?
              Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 08-04-2016, 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Are you using Mikuni main jets or DynoJet main jets? What specific jetting? I don't know dick about the wiki either, sorry man. I have a basic understanding of how the drop down method works, and I think it's a waste of time and energy. I'm betting it's a main jet issue more than a mixture issue. What are the A/F screws currently set at?

Comment

I'm using Mikuni main jets. My A/F screws are all currently set a 2.5 turns out.

Comment

What needles? What size main jets?

Comment

Stock

Comment

So, basically you have no idea what size they are? If you look and realize that 1, 2 & 4 are 105 and #3 is 110. That's not the problem. They are supposed to be that way.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 08-05-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

No, basically I don't. I was trying to avoid taking the carbs back off, if at all possible. Thanks for the info

Why would it be different on carb 3?
                          Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 08-05-2016, 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by CLYNT BEASTWOOD View Post
                            Why would it be different on carb 3?
                            I couldn't tell you what the engineers reasoning for that is, but I know I'm not smarter than them. I'm guessing there is a valid reason.

Comment

Ok, thank you, arsenic

Comment

Working...
                              X