Factory Pro Jet Kits Clarification

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Pro Jet Kits Clarification

Hi ppl.
    so, I have on my '88 the bst33... and I not sure which year.
    On the FP page:
    gsx600f 88-89: S01
    gsx600f 90-92: S02
    gsx600f 93-97: S22
    gsx600f 98-06: S23

anyone knows the diferences? common sense makes me exclude the s01 and s23 of course.

and another question, right now i'm on the stock air filter to establish a base line, but later on I want to mess around with my ramair air filters to see if I can get an improvement or not, the dyno will tell. So anyone knows the diference between S?2 1.0 and S?2 3.0... contents wise?
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Not much of a difference but, use the S02 on the 88-89 motor.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The 90-92 and 93-97 600 use BST33 carbs. The difference is due to the cams changing. They changed in 1992. So FP changed the kit in 1993 even though the engine changed in 1992. If thinking it makes a bit of difference helps you sleep at night, go for it. Just know it makes zero difference. the stage 1 and stage 3 kit depends on if you use the airbox or not. The stage 3 kit uses pod filters so it comes with larger main jets. It doesn't work well though. Just use a stage 1 kit with the stock paper element air filter. Stage one is 1.0 and stage 3 is 3.0. If your plan is to get a "baseline" with the stock filter and think you'll get an improvement from slapping on a different airfilter, sell your bike now.
      Last edited by arsenic; 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Damn, replied a lengthy text 2 times!!! server timed out... too irritated to write a third time...

Just a couple of quick questions if you can answer for me.
        only difference between kits are the main jet sizes?
        The needle is the same across the kits?
        is there pilot jets included?

thank you all!
        GSX 600f '88
        ------------
        Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Are the main jets different between the S02 or S22 or the stage 1 or stage 3? The main jets are 100% the same for the S02 and S22. They are different between stage 1 and stage 3. I have no idea if the needle is the same between the S02 and S22. I doubt it, but you'd have to look really close to notice a difference. The stage 1 and stage 3 kits share the same needle. Pilot jets are not included for ANY pre 98 Katana jet kit ever made. The S22 jet kit is the one I've always used, it's easier to find. You're jetting a Katana, don't try to reinvent the wheel here. I'll let you guess why big corporations didn't do more than the bare minimum research for a Katana. Hint, it's not because of what an amazing technological machine a Katana is.
          Last edited by arsenic; 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

hehehe... I not expecting to do what the R&D team at suzuki didn't remember to do. But I've been learning a lot, and liked it. The goal is to keep learning. From what I've read, it's very hard to jet a katana with another air filter. That's a great challenge, but I'm not expecting to turn a katana into a gsxr of course... probably in the end I'm going to revert everything to stock.
            Thank you for the info, very usefull. Already found a german company that sells FP stuff!
            GSX 600f '88
            ------------

Comment

It's not "very hard", it's not possible. As far as pod filters go. For airbox filters there's some wiggle room. It's a giant pain in the ass to get it to run just as well as it does with the paper element air filter. No, that's not a "great challenge", it's dumb as fuck.

Comment

If it's not possible, then it's not possible and I will learn it's not possible as you did. The great challenge it's not getting it to run better! The great challenge it's to get it to run the best it can with another filter, learning in the process the mechanics of the process... not necessarily to get it to run better. Peace!
                GSX 600f '88
                ------------

Comment

That makes no since, at all.. Just for shits and giggles.... Seems the euro bikes run better with aftermarket high flow filters.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

This is why automotive innovation is at a stand still.

Comment

I already had the kat on a high flow filter, didn't run like crap, in fact it pull better at 9000 rpm at wot. however across the all the throttle positions, the stock setup is way more balanced with no flat spots. In another post I already mentioned that the cams I had was about the same as the gsxr750 '89 in lobe size at least... maybe in europe the cams are different hence the difference. another problem I had was fuel starvation, since my previous petcock had only one line, riding hard would empty the fuel bowls faster than the fuel supply. Another thing to have in mind to try high flow filters is the size of the velocity stacks, it may be necessary to have longer VS to simulate the work of the plenum. The plan is to build a arduino setup to measure in real time: cylinders temp, exhaust air fuel mix, and while i'm at it carb sync values. in order to get some help tuning it. In the process I will learn more about cv carbs, Air Fuel Ratios, velocity stacks, and programming arduinos!
                      If it doesn't pay off I will revert to stock air filter of course, but at least I will learn something (other than stock air filter are the best option for the katana).
                      Last edited by rarva; 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM.
                      GSX 600f '88
                      ------------

Comment

Working...
                      X