X

Turns over but doesn't do anything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns over but doesn't do anything.

So I have a 1997 GSX600F. I put in a manual cam chain tensioner because the chain was loose. Ran great besides it kinda (but less) stuttered around 6-7k RPM so I removed the spark plugs / wires, they looked fouled so I replaced them. Cleaned the carb. Now it will not start. I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb nothing happened so I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel issue and I know the gas lines are fine. They suck gas normally from the tank. When I hold down the ignition it kinda bubbles like its kinda starting but it doesn't. I can feel pressure from the exhaust when I try and start it. Also since I didn't remember the spark plug wiring diagram (1-4 / 2-3) I tried every combination and still doesn't start. When I do move them around sometimes it doesn't even make the noise like it's wanting to start so I have no clue what else to try.

Left coil plug 1&4 right coil 2&3. Most likely cause is the pilot circuit in the carb is clogged.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Left coil plug 1&4 right coil 2&3. Most likely cause is the pilot circuit in the carb is clogged.
      Even if one of the carbs were clogged wouldn't the other 3 cylinders still fire?

Comment

If there is crap in the tank, Any crap in the tank. It will clog those teenie holes in the pilot jets. And no, a proper flowing fuel filter will not stop it. Only cleaning the carbs and tank will. If there is any, any rust in the tank you need to seal the tank also. The rust will return due to the alcohol in modern fuels being hydroscopic (absorbs moisture).
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          If there is crap in the tank, Any crap in the tank. It will clog those teenie holes in the pilot jets. And no, a proper flowing fuel filter will not stop it. Only cleaning the carbs and tank will. If there is any, any rust in the tank you need to seal the tank also. The rust will return due to the alcohol in modern fuels being hydroscopic (absorbs moisture).
          Well it ran great before I messed with the spark plugs and the tank is clean with no rust I just don't see how it's the carbs.
          Is there any way to test that it is for sure the carbs?

Comment

When you pulled the tank you sloshed the fuel and sediment around. You can slosh the tank then drain some fuel from the tank into a glass jar, let it sit and see if there in any sediment in the fuel. Have you pulled the plugs after trying to start? Are they wet or dry? Also what is the coil feed (12v) voltage while trying to start? Should be 11+v.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-25-2016, 09:13 PM.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Sometimes the vacuum line to the petcock gets over looked... and so no fuel flow.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1, just like I did...
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Missing the 50 cent question: Exactly HOW did you clean the carbs?

Comment

I wasn't going there......glad you did.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                    X