X

2000 katana 600 starter won't engage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 katana 600 starter won't engage

I let my bike (2000 gsx600f katana) sit for a couple weeks and now it's having an intermittent starting problem. When I went to start it today the starter wouldn't engage, I didn't rear the solenoid click or anything. After fiddling with the key and kill switch for a while it started. The strange thing is it will continue to start fine as long as I am consistently riding it but if I let it sit for more than 30 minutes the as described issue occurs. It is some kind of electrical grimlin but I'm not very handy with wiring. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Could be ignition switch going bad or bad/corroded connections in the kill switch.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have a spare post ignition switch we could use to test that theory with. Let me know if you want help on troubleshooting it.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        I'm pretty sure I have a spare post ignition switch we could use to test that theory with. Let me know if you want help on troubleshooting it.

Krey
        If Tim offers to help you are in great hands.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the help. I completely forgot I posted this thread. I know everyone's time is valuable and I am sorry for the delay. The issue was a faulty clutch safety switch. My solution was to remove the switch and solder the two wires together bypassing the switch. For those who don't know, the switch is located on the clutch perch, you can't miss it. You can see if it's the culprit to your no start condition without a multimeter by unplugging the switch and wiring the engine side together. You can do this without hacking anything up by simply putting a short piece of wire in both ports of that connection on the engine side. This will bypass the switch temporarily.

Comment

Working...
          X