X

New carbs, tunning issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New carbs, tunning issue

Hi gsx600f '88 here, so I trade the bst31 for the bst33, removed the ramair foam filters for the stock.
    Before the bike was lazy at low rpm and ok at middle rpm, but fired up past 9000 rpm.
    The bike now responses better at low rpm and middle rpm, but at wot past 9000 rpm seems to climb fast the hell to red line... but I cant feel the bike pull speed accordingly.
    This is very difficult to explain in english for me, hope I was clear.
    Any thoughts?
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Slipping clutch ?
    2005 Katana 750

Comment

Sounds like it.

Rarva, low and mid fine, but past 9000 rpm, the tachometer goes to redline very fast but the bikes actual speed doesn't change, or changes far more slowly than the rpms rise?

2 easy potential fixes. 1) adjust the clutch. Not at the handle bar, down where the cable goes behind the sprocket cover. There's a write up on KR somewhere, or look in the manual.2) change oil. Are you currently using motorcycle specific oil? If yes, how old is it? Have you ridden in extreme high temps (or let the bike idle without moving for a long time?)

If those are all fine, might need new clutch springs or clutch pack. I believe you can measure both to see if they're in spec or not.

Also, saw the pics in "what'd you do to your kat today" - looks nice!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Well thanks for the input.
        The feeling I get is the speed increases more slowly than the rpms. Guess I have to test it in 6 or 5 gear, maybe I can get a more acurate reading, because in 3rd it happens too fast to be sure
        Ok, I was guessing it could be from the clutch adjustement, I readjusted again, but didn't test it yet.
        screwed at the handle bar all way in, then checked the rod screw, then screwed at the cover untill I have almost no more freeplay at the handle, then fine adjusted at the handle to give it a dime of freeplay.
        I'm using fuchs silkolene 4stroke API SF, SG & SH JASO MA2 APPROVED, less than one year. I did nothing to my knowledge to have burned the oil (I hope)
        Well I hope it don't come to clutch springs or packs, before I started messing around this time, It worked fine... so I'm hopping is just a adjustement/tunning issue... fingers crossed!
        will keep you posted.
        Thanks

and, don't know if it helps, but in 1st with lever pulled all the way down, the bike offers some resistance when I tried to move it (compared to neutral)... sounds kinda normal to me, but as far I can remember, prior to these changes I never had this resistance or at least, not this noticable.
        Last edited by rarva; 07-24-2016, 07:36 PM.
        GSX 600f '88
        ------------
        Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Ok, thread solved. Was an adjusting issue, not enough freeplay at the handle.
          For future reference, too much freeplay, the clucht won't engage fully.
          Too little freeplay the clutch wont release fully, causing the commom slipping issue.
          Thanks guys!!!
          Last edited by rarva; 07-25-2016, 10:12 PM.
          GSX 600f '88
          ------------

Comment

Fyi for next time, enough Freeplay for a nickel, not a dime. Shoulda caught that the first time.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

hehehe it was a figure of speach... we don't have dimes im Portugal! hahaha wouldn't know the thickness!
              thanks man! The bike performs like a 28 old baby (it's her birthday today)! New carbs and cams along valve adjustment working like a charm!
              Last edited by rarva; 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM.
              GSX 600f '88
              ------------

Comment

Working...
              X