Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help - Distance between suspension fork and brake disc L/R - 600cc 98' kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help - Distance between suspension fork and brake disc L/R - 600cc 98' kat

    Hello Kat riders

    First of all sorry for my English as I am not a native speaker (Eastern Europe) so please bear with me.

    Recently I got in a bit of a crash, basically wasted front suspension, brake disc warped and fairings totaled.

    Still I like this bike and had a lot of good parts in it so decision was to save it, just hope it won't be over my head. Luckily I am mechanically inclined so the labor I do by myself.

    The bike is a 1998 600cc model with round fairings (lift as they would say), the frame and the 'frame head' are ok (I did change the steering wheel bearings just in case)

    So to the problem:

    During the crash I hit in such a funny way that warped the disc together with suspension as a result new discs ware bought and installed.

    Same with the suspension, the upper tubes that go into the lower and upper 'brackets' ware bent and exchanged to new ones.

    I started reassembling the bike together and I noticed that the right caliper mounting plate is scratching the disc. It's actually the pad retainer with a metal 'basket' that is rubbing against the brake disc.

    So obviously something is wrong somewhere. Initially I changed the caliper mount to a different one (straight) but there was no change.

    After a bit of investigating it seems found the culprit - front axis is a bit bent (1.5 mm across its length) and that can position the wheel a bit oddly (I can see it when I turn the axle in the bike but without a nut on it, wheel shifts a bit).

    This will be changed to a straight one but I need to ask Can some owner of 600 cc model from 98+ measure the distance between the fork and the disc for me? I'm wondering if this bike is 'symmetrical' in that spot or if something else is bent?

    I attached a pics with marked point that I'm interested in, I would be grateful for any info

    https://goo.gl/photos/FW9mMV25EVamDvHy5

  • #2
    Did you install the spacers correctly?

    -Steve


    sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

    Comment


    • #3
      6 and 7 are correct
      5 is correct

      8 to be honest I didn't had this spacer when the bike was bought and I don't have it now.

      Is this going between the nut and fork or between spacer 5 and the fork?

      If latter then I have another culprit.

      Funny it didn't show up as a problem before the crash as old disc ware pretty used up (were meant to be exchanged down the line)

      Comment


      • #4
        #8 is listed as a washer. It doesn't take very much to throw off the wheel spacing though. I think it goes outside the fork leg. Nut, washer, fork leg, spacer.

        Are you certain the fork legs are true?

        The wheel itself wasn't damaged?
        -Steve


        sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by steves View Post
          #8 is listed as a washer. It doesn't take very much to throw off the wheel spacing though. I think it goes outside the fork leg. Nut, washer, fork leg, spacer.

          Are you certain the fork legs are true?

          The wheel itself wasn't damaged?
          Check that^^^^ Your spacers look right, as well as your rotors. I have approximately 3/8 of an inch clearance between the forks and the brake rotors.
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

          Comment


          • #6
            When I get home from work tonight, I will take pics up close of mine and figure out how to post for you.

            Looks tight but without being at home to look, hard to say.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by scottscar54 View Post
              When I get home from work tonight, I will take pics up close of mine and figure out how to post for you.

              Looks tight but without being at home to look, hard to say.
              Looks tight, it is tight, his disc's are rubbing his forks. Can you post a picture showing more of the inside of the wheel for the picture on the left. I would like to see how that spacer is sitting.
              2002 750 Kat
              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually this is the part that is doing the rubbing:



                There is clearance between forks, the problem is the amount

                steves

                #8 is listed as a washer. It doesn't take very much to throw off the wheel spacing though. I think it goes outside the fork leg. Nut, washer, fork leg, spacer.
                You are completely correct - it doesn't take a lot to offset the wheel, i can see this just by rotating slightly bent axis. As for washer 8 - according to Haynes the washer is on the outside




                Are you certain the fork legs are true?
                The wheel itself wasn't damaged?
                - as for part 11 i am certain as this is a new part
                - as for 19 not fully although the shop that installed the upper tube in the lower didn't say anything about this being bent.



                Question is did they bothered to look.
                As for the wheel, the shop indicated this is an OK part and the discs are brand new.


                dano68
                I have approximately 3/8 of an inch clearance between the forks and the brake rotors.
                Is it equal on both sides ?
                Thats the information im looking for.

                dano68
                Can you post a picture showing more of the inside of the wheel for the picture on the left. I would like to see how that spacer is sitting.
                Added more pics, although a bit dark so they are crappy quality

                https://goo.gl/photos/ZBhYpBbVL9hucUZYA


                Generally some action items for me:
                - Get a true axis and spacers
                - Try checking (not sure how) if the part 19 is bent or damaged

                Other possibility is the 'ears' that the caliper plate is bolted to are bent (it may not show to the eye). Or the 'hole' that the axis goes through not a circle anymore (that couplet with bent axis)

                Thanks guys i do appreciate all the posts
                Last edited by pchelka; 07-11-2016, 03:31 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  They might not have bothered to see if #19 was bent or not when they put the forks together.

                  Also I guess it could be possible the axle isn't true.
                  -Steve


                  sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here's my 2 cents. Have you checked the wheel bearings to verify they look okay? Are the correct spacers on the correct side of the wheel? 98-02 wheels have dished rotors, like you show in the picture in the first post. Is it possible you have an 03-06 wheel that used to have the flat rotors? Aside from that, get a straight axle, then check it.

                    Also, your English seems pretty good!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                      Have you checked the wheel bearings to verify they look okay?
                      Well the bearings look OK to the naked eye, i will try to check for any free play that could appear there


                      Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                      Are the correct spacers on the correct side of the wheel? 98-02 wheels have dished rotors, like you show in the picture in the first post. Is it possible you have an 03-06 wheel that used to have the flat rotors?
                      As for the rotors and wheel I'm positive as i have the 'dished' rotors.
                      It seems i found a straight axis on 'eBay' type of site - should be at my doorstep tomorrow - hope this will solve the problems.


                      Still a valid question:
                      Originally posted by dano68

                      I have approximately 3/8 of an inch clearance between the forks and the brake rotors.
                      Is it equal on both sides?

                      Thanks guys

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The distance between the disc and fork tube is not equal but close, left side is 8 mm and the right side is close to 10 mm. left side and right side are as you are sitting on the bike not looking at it from the front
                        2002 750 Kat
                        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                          The distance between the disc and fork tube is not equal but close, left side is 8 mm and the right side is close to 10 mm. left side and right side are as you are sitting on the bike not looking at it from the front
                          Thanks dano68 ! this is exactly what i needed
                          Funy think it looks like i have the opposite with LEFT having just a bit more space than right side


                          Can i ask for one more measurement ?

                          If possible can you check the distance between marked part and the brake discs on both sides ?



                          Thank you


                          As an update i got another axis, the seller cursed his mother soul that it's true.... well it isn't perfect BUT way better then main, i guess only the dealership will guarantee a true one and the prices ar simply insulting (charm of central europe ).

                          Anyway the 2'nd axis helped, I got rid of rubbing, although the distance between marked part is still very small (the wheel is straight though and no wobbling).

                          The left caliper / pad retainer/ has around 2~3 mm of distance while the right one has around 1mm or less. I Wonder what will be the distance on Dano68 Kat (Disc usage will go into this... but worth comparing)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pchelka View Post
                            Thanks dano68 ! this is exactly what i needed
                            Funy think it looks like i have the opposite with LEFT having just a bit more space than right side


                            Can i ask for one more measurement ?

                            If possible can you check the distance between marked part and the brake discs on both sides ?



                            Thank you


                            As an update i got another axis, the seller cursed his mother soul that it's true.... well it isn't perfect BUT way better then main, i guess only the dealership will guarantee a true one and the prices ar simply insulting (charm of central europe ).

                            Anyway the 2'nd axis helped, I got rid of rubbing, although the distance between marked part is still very small (the wheel is straight though and no wobbling).

                            The left caliper / pad retainer/ has around 2~3 mm of distance while the right one has around 1mm or less. I Wonder what will be the distance on Dano68 Kat (Disc usage will go into this... but worth comparing)
                            I ill get a measurement for you in a bit
                            2002 750 Kat
                            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well guys just to report back - got it assembled back together.

                              No rubbing or anything although the brakes are still week in my view - will try bleeding them once more time.

                              After the season there will be some painting and general maintenance to be done but it rides and I'm happy

                              Thanks for the help

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X