Carb conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb conversion

Hi All,

I am considering changing the bst36ss carbs on my 89 750 to the post 750 carbs which I believe are the bsr36ss. This is due to my carbs being worn out and not worth the investment and a severe shortage of secondhand bst36ss carbs in the UK. Even crap ones go for silly money !! My bike is only worth a few hundred of your dollars. It might be best to break it for spares and go get another newer and lower mileage bike. I could get big bucks for my knackered carbs The only option is to get the conversion parts to make it work and these parts are readily available over here.
    I have done some searching and assume I need the following parts from the post 98 model , but could someone confirm the parts I need?

Post carbs BSR36SS (obviously)
    Inlet rubbers, including all o-rings (2 inside and 2 head mounting)
    Airbox to carb connecting rubbers
    Handle bar throttle and switchgear
    New throttle cables (mine has handlebar conversion)

Anything else ? Post airbox maybe ?

Cheers.
    Last edited by flash gordon; 07-09-2016, 07:18 AM.

Originally posted by flash gordon View Post
    Hi All,

I am considering changing the bst36ss carbs on my 89 750 to the post 750 carbs which I believe are the bsr36ss. This is due to my carbs being worn out and not worth the investment and a severe shortage of secondhand bst36ss carbs in the UK. Even crap ones go for silly money !! My bike is only worth a few hundred of your dollars. It might be best to break it for spares and go get another newer and lower mileage bike. I could get big bucks for my knackered carbs The only option is to get the conversion parts to make it work and these parts are readily available over here.
    I have done some searching and assume I need the following parts from the post 98 model , but could someone confirm the parts I need?

Post carbs BSR36SS (obviously)
    Inlet rubbers, including all o-rings (2 inside and 2 head mounting)
    Airbox to carb connecting rubbers
    Handle bar throttle and switchgear
    New throttle cables (mine has handlebar conversion)

Anything else ? Post airbox maybe ?

Cheers.
    Just the carbs and air box boots.

You can run the single throttle cable fine, it will still work no issues. Everything else matches up including the air box. It's just the BSRs are round where the air box boots match up, and those would need swapped.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks.

I remember reading a post on here stating that a few people have already done this conversion but no-one mentioned how well the bikes ran afterwards - not that I'm gonna do this for improved performance !!

Any experiences anyone ?

Comment

When you get that far, just leave the TPS unplugged.
        I believe I've heard that the post 750 carbs give a little less oomph than the pre, but as Krey indicated, pretty straightforward swap.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

A little less oomph !!...I'm sure I can live with that

Thanks.

Comment

One last thing...do the post 600 carbs fit on a pre 750 ?

I appreciate there might be even more power loss but at least it keeps the bike on the road

Comment

don't do that.

Comment

Swapping 98+ 750 carbs on pre will work. I can't comment on any performance gains or loses. I just don't know. I'm 100% sure it will work. The bike will remain on the road. With that said, I don't recommend it. If it's your best option, it WILL work. Definitely don't put 600 carbs on it. You might need matching intake boots. The airbox for sure, but someone already brought that up. Just one throttle cable and leave the TPS unplugged. Done! Oh, you need the 98+ petcock too. That's a must. The pre 98 has 2 fuel lines, the 98+ only has one.

Comment

Working...
                X