X

Stripped front sprocket bolt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped front sprocket bolt

So after finally getting some parts in, new sprocket cover, DID chain, and F/R sprockets, I decided to dive into the start of the fix. I got the fairings and front sprocket cover off, but I ran into a problem. It looks like the pre owner has stripped the small hex head bolt that holds on the large 32mm front sprocket bolt !!

I feel I am at a loss and dont know what to do other than return the parts I bought and pay double the price at the local shop.

Any fixes a garage wrencher could try?

A picture would certainly be useful here to understand exactly how bad it is...

But 32mm = 1 1/4"

So I'd be looking for a standard size socket 1 1/8 or 1 3/16 and hammer that bad boy on to get it off.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 pic would help. I've had luck doing that ^ before, as well as cutting the nut off using a dremel. Need steady hands to not cut too deep and screw up the bolt, and a die to run over the threads afterwards. You could also use a hack saw blade, but it will take a long time. When the metal is thin enough, it usually cracks the rest of the way through, which loosens it, and you can spin it off at that point.

Either way, need a new one, don't reuse it.

Edit: think I misread that. It's the hex part that's shot? Try cutting a slot into it and using a screwdriver. Deep cut and use the widest blade screwdriver you can find.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Wait maybe I misread that too. It looks like the PO stripped the small bolt that retains the speed sensor and the sprocket nut?
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Wait maybe I misread that too. It looks like the PO stripped the small bolt that retains the speed sensor and the sprocket nut?
          You are correct. Check out the pic below, not my bike, and I think its a GSXR but for this view itll work. Its the small hex bolt that the finger is pointing to.

Comment

Just carefully dremel a slot on the head and turn it out with a flat head screw driver, or pound in the closest standard size hex driver you can find.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Dude, use a bigass open end wrench. Have someone stand on the rear brake pedal and lean. You can get it loose, I have faith.

Comment

Originally posted by japanada View Post
                So after finally getting some parts in, new sprocket cover, DID chain, and F/R sprockets, I decided to dive into the start of the fix. I got the fairings and front sprocket cover off, but I ran into a problem. It looks like the pre owner has stripped the small hex head bolt that holds on the large 32mm front sprocket bolt !!

I feel I am at a loss and dont know what to do other than return the parts I bought and pay double the price at the local shop.

Any fixes a garage wrencher could try?
                Take a pry bar, breaker bar, etc. and wrap it in a towel. Put it between the spoke on your rear wheel and the swingarm so it cannot rotate.

Put a 6 point socket on the 32mm nut and remove.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

OR - Use an air impact wrench with a six point socket to remove it.
                Last edited by B-Man; 07-10-2016, 07:31 AM.
                2005 Katana 750

Comment

You only have too do all that if you already removed the chain. If the chain is still there, just apply the rear break.

Comment

If you work alone (like I do most of the time) it is hard or impossible to apply the brake and try to wrench at the same time.
                    2005 Katana 750

Comment

I've got awkwardly long limbs - possible to do by myself, but still easier to put something between the wheel and swing arm.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                        If you work alone (like I do most of the time) it is hard or impossible to apply the brake and try to wrench at the same time.
                        Do you have kids? That's what they're for.

Comment

I do work alone, I use a 2x4 threw the wheel with a rag wrapped around it.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

its not the 32mm nut that I cant get off. It is the little retaining 6mm hex head that needs to be removed before the 32mm can be accessed.

Comment

Just drill the head off the socket cap bolt and replace it with a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X