X

GSXR 1100 vs Bandit 1200 engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR 1100 vs Bandit 1200 engine swap

So I was reading the stickied engine swap thread hoping to find out which would be better to go with. I've picked up that the GSXR has more HP and the B12 has more torque. Besides that, I'm not sure which would be the best decision.

Any opinions?

Stock numbers aside, I think the Bandit is a better choice. If you decide to use one, not only will it most likely be newer, (the rockers, etc will be in better condition) but it also has a lot more potential than the 1127. That being said, the 1127 is a wicked little powerplant, but it lacks the torque that makes a B-12 so unique. However, 1127's will probably be cheaper, simply sue to age and mileage.

My B-12 has been bored out to 1216cc, with a GSXR exhaust cam, ported head, stage 2 jets & pods....all those kinda goodies....and while a GSXR1100 motor may have some good power - this will eat it for lunch. IMHO, the B-12 is still the better choice, mainly because there are a very wide variety of parts (both OEM and aftermarket) available for it, and they're still in production - meaning that it IS possible to find a 2001+ motor for a '98+ Kat....and that's always a bonus.

Most of the swap tips are in the stickied thread, so I won't bother repeating them.
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Thanks, that was really helpfull .

*browses for some B-12 engines in the paper*

Comment

Originally posted by DooD
        Stock numbers aside, I think the Bandit is a better choice. If you decide to use one, not only will it most likely be newer, (the rockers, etc will be in better condition) but it also has a lot more potential than the 1127. That being said, the 1127 is a wicked little powerplant, but it lacks the torque that makes a B-12 so unique. However, 1127's will probably be cheaper, simply sue to age and mileage.

My B-12 has been bored out to 1216cc, with a GSXR exhaust cam, ported head, stage 2 jets & pods....all those kinda goodies....and while a GSXR1100 motor may have some good power - this will eat it for lunch. IMHO, the B-12 is still the better choice, mainly because there are a very wide variety of parts (both OEM and aftermarket) available for it, and they're still in production - meaning that it IS possible to find a 2001+ motor for a '98+ Kat....and that's always a bonus.

Most of the swap tips are in the stickied thread, so I won't bother repeating them.
        So how much is Dale charging you for said work? He's not too far from Sacramento and I'm half tempted to take my B12 mill down to let him work it over before it goes into the gsxr.

Comment

The charts I've seen show the B12 SPANKING the 1127 up to about 8k rpms in both torque and hp . That's the biggest thing that made me wanna go B12 . I don't spend much time above 8k rpams anyway .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

*has a 1127 in bits with busa pistons and 1100 rods*

1127 has a 6spd box....bandit has 5.

that was my final deciding factor really.. in a place like aus, a continuous ride of over 600miles in one day, is not uncommon, so having 4 gears you can use to play in the twisties and a further 2 for the highway is what i need.

besides, with a planned 400+hp... who gives a sh!t if its 1200 or 1127 :P

on a side note, a 750 box will mate up to a 1200 engine, tho i dont know how good or how long it will last.

cheers.joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
              So how much is Dale charging you for said work? He's not too far from Sacramento and I'm half tempted to take my B12 mill down to let him work it over before it goes into the gsxr.
              Actually, Dale has stopped building motors now, and has kinda bumped Richard Oliveira of Cycle Imports into a position as THE Bandit man. Dale simply sells his Holeshot parts now, and Richard builds everything. The rates for machine work are very affordable....I did have all the numbers written down, but I combined them all into a spreadsheet to tally up all the costs for the Kat this year - so I don't know what each little bit was anymore.

The headwork was the most expensive single part, at $100/cylinder, ($50/port) and that included a little bit of valve work too (3-angle job). Machine work was about $150-200, to bore the cylinders and mill the head 0.025". Replacement parts were minimal, for stuff like o-rings and the like - most of the other parts were either a part of the bore kit, or were cheap factory replacements. Labor is going to be a big factor if you have them tear the motor down there - though I'd imagine you'd be the type to simply send them parts.

The HUGE costs are in the PARTS! Exhaust ($750 for a Comp2 high-mount full system), the jets ($270 for stage 2 with K&N pods), the top end oiler ($200), and the bore kit. ($550).

BTW, if anyone is interested in having a B-12 built, Dale and Richard have actually bought a mule bandit now, and will break in and dyno all the new motors properly before sending them back to you - if you want. I think mine will be one of the first motors to be stuck in a mule bike. That's kind of a sweet deal - Richard stated that he'd rather break it in on the road and on the dyno himself, rather than letting owners or other shops do it and possibly screw up a good motor build. And just for the record - these guys are both AWESOME to deal with - and they certainly know their stuff!
              FrankenKat 1216
              GS Fiter 816
              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Originally posted by crazymofo
                1127 has a 6spd box....bandit has 5.

Oh, for some reason I didn't think about the tranny. I actually think I would rather go with the 6th gear.

Comment

An extra gear woud be nice , but I've heard 5th on the B12 is still turning less rpm's then 6th on a stock Katana .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Can someone please post a link to the thred about the gsxr/b12 conversion . I have been trying to locate it and have had no luck. Ty in advance

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Any new arguments on this? Im about ready for an engine swap...
                        sigpic

Comment

1127 vs 1146, pick one. That's all I have to say.

Comment

Working...
                          X