X

First bike and new rider idle and clutch problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bike and new rider idle and clutch problems

Having a few issues with my bike. It's a 92 gsx600f.
    First thing is it doesn't idle very well and when I try to get on it, it just bogs down then takes off, but if I'm just cruising it runs just fine.
    Second, I was riding it today and stopped at a buddies house to show him the bike well now every time I try to engage the clutch and but it into gear it dies. Even when the while the clutch is still engaged.
    Any thoughts of what it could be I have no idea because I've never had a bike or worked on one thank you

Ok. Issue 1) carbs need service. 2) Sidestand switch or the Sidestand itself is faulty (loose springs come to mind. Sidestand should not wiggle around, whether up or down.)
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

And by side stand do you me the kick stand like I said I'm new to this

Comment

Yes
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

There's a sensor on the sidestand(kickstand). If it's down, and you put the bike in gear, it kills the engine so you dont take off and make a left turn and end up eating shit.

Since you're new - do you know the bike has a choke, and how to use it? Odds are Junker is right and the carbs need some TLC, but figured I'd check.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Of course Guy's right. Dude has a nearly 25 year old bike. Do you think the carbs have every been rebuilt correctly in those 25 years? I doubt it. I'm sure a "shop" sprayed some carb cleaner at them, maybe replaced the float bowl gaskets. Anymore than that, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

+1
              On a 25 year old bike a complete carb disassembly and cleaning is in order. Simply spraying isn't going to get into the tiny passages and orifices that a true thorough cleaning does. Probably not a bad idea while you're in there to replace the rubber o-rings & bowl gaskets because they degrade over time.

Comment

There is a carbs 101 for the pre (90-97) carbs but, it doesn't even mention dipping the carbs. They NEED DIPPED to completely clean the passages, 24hr minimum each body.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X