X

Auxiliary fuel tank for tuning carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliary fuel tank for tuning carbs

Right now the tank is off and apart for paint stripping and rust removal/sealer. I won't have it ready for at least another week.

In the meantime my syncpro carb tuner came in the mail and I'd like to get the carbs somewhat adjusted before I get the tank done. I took them off and readjusted the floats, I picked up a bike master set in mm's and followed all the steps on carbs 101. Completely cleaned them inspected for damage. Everything is good. Hooked it back up.

As an auxiliary I used one of the empty apple cider vinegar jugs I used to clean the tank rust. Drilled two holes, tapped it, and screwed in two outlets, one for each of the fuel lines. Put some gas in and closed the cap.

Immediately fuel starts pouring out the carbs. I quickly put vice grips on the lines to stop this. Now my question is, why would this happen, does it have to do with the vacuum line being open on the side of carb 4? Kinda stumped.
    '92 GSX600F Bobber
    sigpic

It has nothing to do with the vacuum line. It has everything to do with the float heights.

Comment

So if I measured correctly and it's doing this either the floats are stuck or the needles are bad. It was even coming out the vent tube for 1 & 2
      '92 GSX600F Bobber
      sigpic

Comment

I'd recheck your work. I'd say you didn't measure correctly.

Comment

It's kind of a good thing this happened now rather than later I imagine. My stupid self didnt screen outlets in the jug. I rinsed it out with gas, I guess it wasn't enough. Two of the four carbs had white plastic shavings stuck between the needle and it's housing. All four had some kind of black rubber pieces in there too, some on both sides. Either I forgot remove the needle entirely and check them, or I did and it happened after my cleaning. Either way I'm glad this happened or my problems would have surely continued, worst case scenario I'd have been down the road on it and have it dump gas on the headers. Sometimes I forget just how delicate these things are. One little thing can cause big problems.
          '92 GSX600F Bobber
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X