Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Engine Sputters and dies when put in gear!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Sputters and dies when put in gear!

My bike as stored for the winter. I took it out for a few days and it was fine.

I remember getting gas and after 10 miles or so the rpm's started fluttering up and down, then it started sputtering and kicking and finally shut down.

The bike runs just fine in neutral. It idles fine and revs fine, but when I put it in gear it either dies right away(it's not the kickstand switch) or I can keep it running for a little bit by giving it a lot of gas, but it kicks and sputters a lot and will then die.

I checked the fuel filter and the fuel lines going from the tank and to fuel filter to make sure it wasn't a fuel restriction issue. I only checked the three hoses coming off the tank when I removed it, and the fuel filter. They all looked fine.

The weird part is that I can let it sit for a day, start it up and take it up and down the street(maybe 1/8 mile or so and it will run fine before it starts sputtering/kicking and then dying. But again, it is fine in neutral.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Sidestand switch would be my first check..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's side stand fever!!

Comment

Fur sure...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Think that side stand switch has sign a DNR due to the fever?

Comment

It's not the sidestand switch. That was the first thing I checked.

The bike doesn't just shut off when put into gear. It sputters and kicks for a second or two(or if I gas it I can get it to run like a bucking bull for a few sustained seconds).

Comment

Maybe the clutch isn't slipping when you ease it into gear.
              The carbs might be gummed up, and having trouble with the load..

Comment

+1 on the carbs.. I remember an issue like that, it ended up being the coils....I think..
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Great. Thanks guy. I'll have the carbs checked out.

Do you think running something like seafoam through it would clear it up or would this prob be something I should take apart and clean(or more likely take to a mechanic to do so)?

Comment

Try the seafoam first. Have you checked your header temps?
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Try the seafoam first. Have you checked your header temps?
                      I don't know what you mean when you are asking about checking the header temps.

Also for the seafoam, since the bike can't actually run(besides idling) how would be the best way for me to run seafoam through it?

Comment

If it's so bad that you can't ride it, you should tear the carbs down and clean them.
                        If you measure the temp of the pipes coming out of the head, it will tell you which cylinder is having issues.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks All. I'll try that!

Comment

Advantage to not having fairings...
                            In fact, it was for just this reason (carb issues) that I ditched them.
                            It's of course easier to check the header when you just start up, touch the pipes and they should be all warm-hot. If the bike is hot you can wet your fingers.
                            The cooler pipe (or cold) isn't running.

Comment

Working...
                            X