X

HELP! I am lost on this issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! I am lost on this issue

Good morning my fellow KATriders. I am having some issues with my 1996 Suzuki Kat and I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

I've been having some tapping noises coming from the engine. First thing I thought was that it was time for a cam tensioner adjustment. Did that, the tapping noise persisted. So then I thought okay maybe I need to do a valve adjustment, did that and the tapping persisted.

The funny thing about the issue is that it only rattles at 3k and above. When the bike is sitting at idle, there is no rattle.

Can anyone out there in KAT-land tell me what it could be please?
    Could it be maybe one of the timing chain guides have gone awry?
    Attached Files

Broken spring? Loose cam cap? Bad cam chain/sprocket. Bad cam chain adjuster
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-04-2016, 10:39 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

broken tensioner spring? it's fine
      loose cam cap? how do I check that?
      bad cam chain adjuster? the adjuster is working fine

Comment

Check for loose cam caps.. You'll have to check cam cap mating surfaces, check bolt torques ( you need to rotate the engine to unload the force on the caps/valve springs)
        You may also have piston issues, like at the pin.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

wow really, at 22K already? We are talking about stuff way above my expertise. I think I'm just going to let the experts look at it.

Comment

You hear it at 3k plus? Could this be a case of out of sync carbs causing excessive vibration? I know my headlight adjustment screw used to vibrate quite a racket when I got up in the R's. I ended up duct taping it and the sound went away.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

naw, I don't believe so. I believe if the carbs were out of sync, it would burn rich and pop and it's not doing that.

Comment

Working...
              X