X

750 gas tank vs 600 tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 gas tank vs 600 tank

So I recently bought a 92 750 gas tank off of ebay for my 92 600 katana. The petcock is very different than the one on the 600, it's only got 1 fuell ine coming out of it but it also has other tubes coming out of the bottom. Can I swap out my old 600 petcock into the 750 tank and seal off the tubes coming out of the bottom of the tank?

You may have ended up with a California model gas tank. Check the underside to see if there is an indent at the front of the 750 tank that isn't present on your 600 tank (which would be there to provide space for the PAIR valve system on the California models). If so, yes, you can simply cover the extra vent/vacuum tube (one must still be used for venting -- if there are multiple vent tubes, then at least one must be used for drainagie/venting). The petcock on the 750 should have dual fuel hoses (the pre-98 750's have dual fuel feeds to the carbs, while the 600's only have one). Pick one, and cap the other off, or use a T-adaptor to merge them back together.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So I could basically just fill the 2 little tubes coming out w/ some jbweld and use my 600 petcock w/ the 2 outputs for my carbs and everythign should work find?

Comment

If I understand what you are saying, you have two steel outlets coming out the bottom of the tank itself. Those are drainage tubes that should have a rubber hose leading down the side of the engine to drain out beside the airbox and battery drain tubes.

Now the petcock. I have dual fuel outlets from the petcock on my '93 600. Then one vacuum hookup that comes out the back of the petcock. If the 750 petcock only has one fuel outlet, yes, change it out with your 600 petcock. You should be ok..... just make sure you check for leaks when you are done.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Ok so those 2 metal tubes coming out are drainage lines and just need those tubes going down and out of the bike. I just thought it was weird having 2 of them there but I'll hook up the hoses and change the petcocks...So on the 750 since it's only got one fuel outlet? how does that split between 4 carbs? I'll throw on my old petcock though and hopefully everything should work. Thanks for the help.
          Joel

Comment

I am not sure why the petcock on the 750 tank has only one outlet. All the Katana's that I have personally worked on or looked at has two outlets. Both the 750's and the 600's. I am sure it was a certain year or California model or something petcock with only one outlet. You should be good though.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

My 88 600 (european, none of that cali stuff on it) has only one fuel line, I think it has to do with the different carbs used the first years (to 91 if I remember correctly)...
              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
              X