X

Suzuki GSX600F 1998 major oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki GSX600F 1998 major oil leak

Hi all, I've had my Katana for some time now, but it's been standing, waiting for me to pass my test. Did that, went for the first longer (ish) ride and half way through it noticed oil leak coming from the left side of the bike. Initially I thought it was the stator cover gasket (even purchased one to replace), however upon closer inspection found that the problem is much more extensive - it seems there's a major leak of oil on 1-2 cylinder side, 3-4 side seems clean, was trying to upload photos, but it's not supported and I am unable to add them from any server at present. Any ideas? Rocker cover gasket? I've read something about a leaking bolt that is producing similar symptoms... If it is the rocker cover gasket, do I need to take the engine out to do it or is it possible to do it in situ? Maybe try and tighten the bolts to specified torque to start with? Any help appreciated.

Personally I would remove the valve cover, inspect and clean valve cover gasket, and if the gasket is still good it can be reused, then reassemble. That is where I would start.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Oh, that's good news - thought it would need to change the gasket so would probably wait until replacement arrives - if this is the case I'll try to crack it open tonight or tomorrow and see - lovely bike, bit of a misfire, but this is probably due to oil leak fouling the spark plugs as well - this would also point to cover gasket. Will investigate further and update. Thanks!
      Last edited by aquilaalba; 03-14-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Right, found the culprit of this - there are four bolts at the top of the engine cover with bolts with channels in them - all should have copper crush washers, some muppet used aluminium one, which caused a leak. It must have been like this for some time, as oil was combined with sand / dirt and formed crust on top of the engine... Also, when I started to prep myself for carb syncing I've found the source of the problem with uneven / rough running - out of three caps that should cover vacuum ports on carbs, only one was installed, plus the pipe to the tank - rest was missing. Again, it must have been like that for some time.... Now it starts first time every time with no problems. Pathetic... This was the main reason someone got shot of this bike, been seen by few garages with stupid quotes provided, I was told Ž£150 just to see what's wrong with it, with cost likely to be in the region of Ž£300 - Ž£500 to get it sorted... I will open a garage, I'm already better than three other garages I know.

Comment

It's not that shops don't know what they're doing. When it comes to a Katana, they just don't care.

Comment

Working...
          X