X

Tank Removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Removal

Going to remove the tank to have it painted and install the repair kit for the Petcock valve. The shut off doesn't shut the fuel off and leaks through.
    Is there anything I need to do that you all have learned the hard way to cover or plug other than the fuel line to the engine?
    The tank will be off for at least a couple of weeks. You will need to excuse my ignorance. I am a automotive tech, have never wrenched on bikes before, but am finding it very fun.
    Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 03-10-2016, 12:04 PM.

There are three settings on the petcock. On, res (reserve), and PRI (prime). When the petcock is at on or res no fuel should come out. If it does, you have a faulty petcock and it will need rebuilding. If that's the case ur just gunna have to suck it up and drain the tank. Maybe cyphon the bulk of it out first.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
      There are three settings on the petcock. On, res (reserve), and PRI (prime). When the petcock is at on or res no fuel should come out. If it does, you have a faulty petcock and it will need rebuilding. If that's the case ur just gunna have to suck it up and drain the tank. Maybe cyphon the bulk of it out first.
      Well aware of having to drain the tank. Cant have it painted with fuel in it....Well....not supposed to anyways...lol

Comment

Petcock vavle is still okay. PO said it needs to be rebuilt for some reason. works fine. drained no problem when switched to prime and stopped draining when switched to the on position. Thanks bro

Comment

Working...
        X