X

Tighten the triple

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tighten the triple

I think my front end has a little play in it.
    I want to tighten the triple tree on the bike. From what I can figure looking at the bike and FSM I loosen the bolts on the lower triple tree on the forks and loosen the nut on the top. Is that about it?

I only noticed it last ride coming to a stop if I lightly tap the front brake at low speeds I can feel it knocking from the stem moving in the front.

May want to check the neck bearings out too.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Sure it's not the front rotor float ring being worn? Raise the front end off the ground a check for movement. A loose triple will show signs while in motion, wobble, bad tracking and such. Do you have a head stem nut socket/wrench?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Sure it's not the front rotor float ring being worn? Raise the front end off the ground a check for movement. A loose triple will show signs while in motion, wobble, bad tracking and such. Do you have a head stem nut socket/wrench?
        Im going to jack up the center of the bike and give the front a wiggle. Im 99% sure its in the neck. I have REAL bad vibrations in the grips and sometimes turning just feels odd.

What is a head stem nut socket wrench? Just a socket of the proper size? Then sure I got one that fits im sure.

Comment

Under the top triple, there is a spanner nut that will need to be tightened. Either a spanner socket or a wrench will be needed. The socket will allow proper torquing. I modified a socket to fit the nut. As said before, you should check the bearings as the forks should not loosen if torqued properly.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Ok so what im looking at on the top of the triple is a cover shaped like a nut and under that is the nut for adjusting?

Comment

Yup, look at the top of the neck of the frame, you'll see the flat looking nut with 4 notches. It's actually under the top triple.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-06-2016, 02:23 PM.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
              X