Idle screw (needle) stuck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle screw (needle) stuck?

Hi all. Long time no post.

So a while back, when I my pops took apart my carbs (when it was still his bike), I noticed a needle sticking out from inside the far right carb and he mentioned it's been like that for a while and I shouldn't worry about it. Well I currently have the bike apart in the garage and I'm wondering if I should now "worry" about it. Background... I'm no mechanic, but I like to tinker. Here is an explanation of what is wrong:

Here's an image I found online for reference. I couldn't see what I needed in bike bandits diagram.

When looking at this image, part (F) sticks out of part (E) and doesn't move. It's not like that on the others so I (again, just a tinkerer) don't believe it's supposed to be that way.

My questions:
    - is this normal or is this of concern?
    - if it's concerning, what can be done?

It could be bent/broken, I'm not sure. I'd like to get this fixed while I have this old geezer all torn apart right now.

Thanks all, I appreciate it.
    1998 Katana GSX750F
    “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

That's called your air fuel screw. Controls the ratio between the two. All 4 should be set equal to each other (recommended amount is 2.5 turns out from lightly seated) the factory sets them way lean, meaning they are turned in further, which is why one is poking out. The factory alsondoesnt set them Ll equalnti each other. Just kinda what the assembler feels like that day.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Awesome. Perfect explanation. I just looked up more about how to adjust these as well as how they affect the idle. Learn something new every day.

I'll make sure they are 2.5 turns from seated.

Thanks shpielers
      1998 Katana GSX750F
      “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

Working...
      X