2000 Kat 750 replace speedometer for a novice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Kat 750 replace speedometer for a novice

Hey all!

So i'm moving to the USA from Canada and plan on bringing my 2000 Kat 750 (aka: Rachel) with me. The only issue is that the speedometer states KM/h not Miles/h. So, I would need to change the speedometer (odometer doesn't matter for import purposes...just a certified MPH speedometer).

I've looked but haven't found any real instructions on how to accomplish this. Is it feasible for a rookie? Do I need to go to the Suzuki shop for the install cause I would guess that if I change the speedometer, it would also reset the mileage on it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Al

Honestly you might be better off selling it in Canada and buying another bike when you move here.

You'll need to swap the odometer itself.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks!

If I sell it now (in the snowtime season), it probably won't sell or I'll have to drop the price like crazy. Also, when I go to the USA, with the exchange rate being at 1.44 (100 USD = 144 CAD) then it becomes very expensive to buy another one...

Is it hard to swap the speedo itself? I could try to find a used one on ebay (or katriders???!!!) Import laws don't care about mileage being in KM, just the speed display portion.

Edit: It seems to be easy enough to find on Ebay or other locations. Judging by what i'm seeing, it seems that it's a very simple install (only a few screws and 1 wire to plug in)... am I right?
      EDIT 2: I'm also seeing that when you replace this part, it seems the mileage gets changed too... I would want to change it back to the same mileage as my bike has... would that be possible?

Thanks,

Al
      Last edited by afata5; 01-29-2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

There are supposed to be places you can send off a speedometer to be reset. Never used one though.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It's against Federal regulations to change mileage, so it's not something you can do in your garage.

Comment

what about swapping the over lay...im assuming that the sweeping is the same from km to mi just different visible numbers.grant it the odometer would still be in km .or swap in a usd gauge cluster with close to the same miles..
            Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 01-29-2016, 04:18 PM.

Comment

They do sell dials for the post Kat but, your cluster is metric, Milage is also metric. Swapping clusters is an option but, you have to have a notice that states the Milage is not actual, by law.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
              X