X

89 750 idles fine, choke or no choke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 750 idles fine, choke or no choke

My bike idles fine with or without the choke, revs beautifully with the choke, in any position, but hesitates when giving it throttle with the choke off, any advice?

Originally posted by CLYNT BEASTWOOD View Post
    My bike idles fine with or without the choke, revs beautifully with the choke, in any position, but hesitates when giving it throttle with the choke off, any advice?
    Not enough info to give a specific reason, but generally speaking...

Check first you don't have an air blockage going on (the air box doesn't have something in it, or blocking the intake point for the filter.

Then... if that's not the case...

If the choke does not make any change in the idle, it's not working. The "choke" is actually adding fuel. There should be a definite change in how the bike idles or runs by enriching the fuel mix.

If that is not happening, check the basics that the cable is hooked up and the choke rail is moving and pulling open all 4 plungers.

If that is correct, then you should start with cleaning the carbs to make sure the pick up tubes for the choke system are not clogged. They get clogged easily because they go all the way to the bottom, and if fuel is allowed to sit and start to varnish up, they are sticking in that and stop up easily.

As for giving throttle and the bike dies... that very likely is too much air leaning out the mix = also dirty carbs.

It's possible the idle circuit is clean and that is why the bike idles, but the main system is clogged along with the fuel enrichment system to cause the other issues.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The choke works, the more I open it the higher it revs. The bike doesn't die when I give it throttle(with choke closed), just stumbles a bit. With the choke opened, just a bit it, revs beautifully with no hesitation whatsoever. I do thank you for taking the time to help.

Also, are there any tricks to get the airbox to mate up to the carbs better? The rubber seals don't want to slide fully up to the carbs? They are up close by don't fully slide up onto the carbs.
      Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 01-28-2016, 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

A/F screws at 2.5 turns out?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'll have to check all that this weekend, it's finally warming up here in Idaho so this weekend I'm gonna work on a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by CLYNT BEASTWOOD View Post
            The choke works, the more I open it the higher it revs. The bike doesn't die when I give it throttle(with choke closed), just stumbles a bit. With the choke opened, just a bit it, revs beautifully with no hesitation whatsoever. I do thank you for taking the time to help.

Also, are there any tricks to get the airbox to mate up to the carbs better? The rubber seals don't want to slide fully up to the carbs? They are up close by don't fully slide up onto the carbs.
            Airbox trick...

Remove the air filter (it's just 4 short screws and easy to do)... then reach into the air-box to push each boot in place, and hold it there as you tighten them down. Once all 4 are good, put the air filter back in it. You MIGHT have to remove the tank brace (just 4 bolts) but I don't remember having to.

some choke revs nice, no choke stumbles... definitely suggesting a lean issue. Are the carbs fully cleaned? If not, I'd start there... It's not going to hurt for them to be opened and inspected/cleaned.

Make sure you read the Carb 101 and don't mistake aerosol spray cleaner as a substitute for actually dipping the carbs and parts for cleaning. The spray is just used to "rinse" them off after a dip.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So hey, I haven't been on here much lately and I do appreciate all of the good advice from all of you. I have another issue to bring up, I have a throttle issue, the bike "bogs" upon opening the throttle, and then after holding it open for a few seconds seems to clear up. I took the tank off, looked at the throttle linkage on the carb( while opening the throttle) and noticed the linkage does not open carbs 1 and 2 when it opens 3 and 4. They do open up after twisting the throttle a bit more but not nearly at the same time. I noticed the bit of linkage that actuates carbs 1 and 2 seems to be missing something, a spring maybe? I also have noticed the plugs for cylinders 1 and 2 are carbon fouling while the 3 and 4 seem to look good. Please help.

Comment

Working...
              X