Carb internal parts change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb internal parts change

Hi All,

I have an 1989 750 with 36mm carbs. The bike is only a cheap runabout so is not worth a lot of investment.

When I last rebuilt the carbs the needles were worn and needle jets were egg shaped and I new that they would need to be replaced at some point especially as fuel consumption is high but over here in the uk the cost of standard replacement parts make them financially unviable considering the value of the bike so the old ones were reused. However, it does run very well.

I managed to get a set of replacement carbs but the previous owner of them said he did not know which bike they were off as these carbs were fitted to several models around that era. Looking at the internal parts the main jet is a 112.5 which suggests the carbs are from a '88-'89 GSX750R or maybe an 1100 of some sort.

What results might I expect if I changed the existing main jet, needle, needle jet etc for the parts from the new set ? Please bear in mind I'm not bothered about performance as long as it runs smooth-ish. The exhaust is a botch up anyway if that has any bearing on the carb set-up.

Any advice appreciated.

Anyone any ideas ?

Comment

Well since the 750 didn't come with 36mm carbs, it's a crap shoot as to how well it will run with them, you can cross reference the number on the side of the carb if they are both BST carbs then go for it.

Correction they are indeed 36mm carbs, though 88-89 carbs are different from 90-97. A pic of them would help. This may help you http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...Specifications
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks.

Both sets are BST36SS and are identical externally.

I suppose the GSX 750 R carbs are uprated due to that particular engine having higher compression and improved cam spec.

Probably still worth a go though as mine must be pouring fuel into the chambers at lower rpm !!

Comment

Anyone else have any opinions ?

Comment

I'd have to really understand and contemplate this. Which I really don't feel like doing now. Maybe later.

Comment

If they are both BST36SS carbs, open them up and check. Jetting could be different due to year and or bike they were used on.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Stock it used 3 105s and a 110.

Sounds like a 112 might end up being a little rich, but I don't remember the step sizes in the jet kits. You might just be able to shim the needle up and be fine.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                X