X

Frame Crossmember

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Crossmember

While perusing the various threads here, I saw mention of removing the frame crossmember. Now, I know for sure that there was not one when I took my bike apart, and pulling up the photos verfies that. I do recall wondering what those screw locations were for, apparently now I know.

My question, how important is this crossmember, and what would be a likely reason for its disappearance? Furthermore, does anyone have an extra one, for a 97 750 if it matters, laying around somewhere?

Apparently Partzilla will still ship the crossmember, and it is only about $40.
    Last edited by Prymaldark; 07-25-2015, 05:40 AM.

1997 GSX750F

Suzuki has never been known to install unnecessary parts on bikes - especially a budget bike like the Kat. It braces the frame and supports the tank. It was removed / forgotten by an idiot. The cross member is important. Locate one and install it.

Comment

I figured that would be the answer, luckily Partzilla still has them for sale.

I have suspected for awhile that the first owner dropped the bike at some speed, and found out that they were scared of it after the repairs were finished. My guess is that the crossmember was lost or discarded during this repair. Then, I think it fell over in the second owner's parking lot, and they wanted their money out of it before getting in too deep.

Lately I have been pondering what is causing the bike to dip left when letting go of the bars. There is no noticable pull when holding the bars, but it dips within about a second or two of release, unless I counterweight with my lower half. Now I am starting to wonder if the frame itself was twisted in the inital wreck. Then again, I do not recall this happening during the first two seasons of riding this bike, which makes me wonder what else could cause this type of sudden dip.

I know that the nose is off slightly towards the clutch side. There is bit of a gap visible between the gauge cluster and the fairings at the upper left corner. I thought, and/or hope, that this is only the subframe though. I will be pulling the plastics tonight to inspect the nose subframe. Hopefully I can get that straightened back out. I should probably recheck my carb balance as well while I am in there. She has been using a lot of extra fuel this season, and I tried to clean and balance them this spring.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

That's also a possibility. If the bike was crashed and the frame bent, perhaps the brace didn't fit. Easy solution ... toss the brace. Sounds like you need to inspect the frame carefully for alignment, bends and cracks. Crash-induced weak spots or alignment issues and the absence of the brace may explain your strange handling.

Balancing the carbs alone won't make a huge difference in economy - unless they are way out. The carbs need to be clean and properly set first, valves in spec, then balance the carbs.

Comment

The frame looks generally fine, nothing major. I will inspect it again once the plastic is off though. I think it could be tweaked, there are a few small bits of paint flaked away around the curve that shows through the plastic; both sides if I recall. There are a few crossmembers being auctioned as well, looks like I should be able to pick one up for about $20. I suppose I will find out if it fits soon enough.

Perhaps I should check the valve clearances as well as rechecking the carbs. I think I need to find a different feeler gauge set for the valve job though. I believe that the cheap one I found locally was lacking the size I wanted, it has been a few months though so my memory is foggy. Any tips on where to find a quality set of feeler gauges?

1997 GSX750F

Comment

I am not certain, but I do think that the frame is a bit tweaked. There are no cracks, but the motor is a couple millimeters closer to the left side frame rail than the right. Looking from the rear without the plastics, it appears that the tail is slightly to the right, or the swingarm is slightly left. Very hard to tell, it is minor, if not just an illusion.

Also, my nose issue seems to be due to the tabs that the mirrors bolt to, they are both kicked slightly to the clutch side. Speaking of which, I really need to find someone to tack one of the nuts back in place for my left mirror, it is very annoying trying to squeeze some pliers in to hold it in place while removing/installing the mirror.

I am unsure what to do about the frame. On the one hand, the bike does feel fine on the road. One thought is to get a scrap bike with a bad engine, and use it for parts. Another thought is to just keep working with what I have for now, and try to save for another bike.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Wonkyness might also be from wheel bearings and/or steering stem bearings. If you're going to keep the frame, give those some attention and see if it helps any.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Need one ? I believe I got one out in the garage in my spare parts box ...
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks md86, but I just finished paying for a crossmember that I found on auction. The total was only 17 and change, including shipping. I also ordered a pair of feeler gauges so I can check the valve clearances; the set I have already does not go small enough. Hopefully both packages should arrive by the end of the week.

I will look into the bearings as well, thank you shpielers for the suggestion.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

The crossmember arrived today. I will head down to install it soon. This one only had one of the two rubber spacers though. The parts diagram does not call them out, so I assume they are only available with the crossmember. Does anyone have an idea of where to find something comparable to replace the missing one?

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Item #7

Comment

Aha! They were hiding it on a different diagram. Thanks Arsenic.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Looking that those for like 10 years, you learn a thing or two.

Comment

I have a cross member you can have for a 96 750.... You pay shipping, but you can have it

Comment

Thanks James, but I have one now. I just need to get a replacement for one of the two rubber pads that are on it. I still need to get up to the local fastener store to pick up some bolts to install it, but that is just due to timing constraints.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                              X