X

Enrichment circuit plungers uneven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrichment circuit plungers uneven

So I just put a bunch of work into the carbs, and I honestly don't think I'll be jumping back into them for a few weeks at least, but even after getting everything perfectly clean and responding great, when the enrichment circuit ('choke') is active, idle RPM is somewhat erratic, almost like the carbs are out of sync.

The cause of this was obvious when I had the carbs off; the enrichment plungers weren't engaged in sync with each-other. One would engage every millimeter or two. Of course, in a system with a range of maybe 1.5cm, a couple millimeters is a pretty big difference I think.

The question is, is this normal at all? Are there shims to fix it? Do I just live with it? Heck, how can I even fix it? The plungers are sprung *inwards*, so I couldn't really figure out how one would pull them out.

I would spray it with wd40 & work the linkage back and forth. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment for the plungers. I've never had that issue on mine.Someone will chime in here with possibly a better answer.

Comment

I have an idea of how I'll attempt to fix this; if after pulling the plungers and inspecting, I still can't find a reason for it, I'll tweak the forks on the rod that actuates them, so they'll all go at the same time.

I never actually took the choke plungers off because, like an idiot, I didn't see that the retainer is just screwed in. I did clean the circuit by making sure carb cleaner came out the other end of every passage, but I can do a better job with the plungers out of course.

Comment

That is how it's done..
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

All you have to do is remove them and make sure they are clean. You don't need to "tweak" shit. If you start "tweaking" things, you'll open up a whole new can of worms... guaranteed.

Comment

Unless it's already tweeked. Then you need to untweek the actuator.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well I do happen to have a brand new replacement actuator. The guy before me bought a bunch of spare parts for things that weren't even necessary, which happened to include this. I'll clean all that out and swap that out tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X