X

Where do I start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironmark
    Your were talking about that one side pic of the bike as far as the fork tube right? I too think that was just camera angle. The handle bars were also pointed slightly away from the camera when I took that picture.

One other question I have is about the Helmet. Should I be looking for a new one? The helmet doesnt look cracked or anything structural is wrong with it. It is a bit scratched up natrually.
    Most, if not all, helmet manufacturers strongly recommend getting a new helmet after an accident. Although there is no apparent damage to the naked eye, the polymers and composites they use could have lost some structural integrity and would not serve adequate protection in another fall. Think of it as a hidden hairline crack that is embedded into the helmet.

It's your choice, but my head is worth an extra $200-400.

Comment

The only real stress point that I have seen has been on the right upper fairing bracket. It looks partial bent, paint chipped. Rest of the frame looks okay, however scratched up from dirt and gravel getting inbetween it and the fairing.
      If the paint is chipping over a weld, then you need to find a welder who can clean that off, grind the weld flush and groove the area, and then lay another bead over it. If it's not over a weld, then you should be good - it might just require that it get bent back to where it was originally (the wonders of steel!) Katanas are very easy to work with due to the steel frame, so don't be afraid to get in there and "make it fit"!
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

One other question I have is about the Helmet. Should I be looking for a new one? The helmet doesnt look cracked or anything structural is wrong with it. It is a bit scratched up natrually.
        Most helmet manufacturers of better quality helmets have some inspection method to qualify a helmet as safe to use again or trash (check the manufacturer website to see if they have an address to send it to for inspection). As far as I know: Shoei, Arai, Nolan, Roof all have factory inspection checks avialable; HJC, KBC, Bell do not. I know that Arai and Shoei are even known to repair helmets that do not have any laminate damages at no additional charge (replacing worn liners, etc).

Because the protection systems in a helmet consist of two basic systems (the styrofoam insert and the shell), a lack of visible damage may not mean a lack of damage -- if the styrofoam is dented [compacted] or a laminate layer in the shell is delmaminated, it's ability to protect you is greatly reduced. Personally, I'd replace it, because your head is the single most critical part of your body (you never see headless people being semi-functional). Even if the manufacturer returns the helmet to you as useable, you'll have a second helmet just in case. If you're pinching pennies, seek out a KBC or Bell -- some of the under $100 helmets are as good or better in a crash as some of the $500 options (search the threads here at KR for the helmet test review).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ill do a search. I currently have a KBC that i purchased off of my friend chris (Rest in peace buddy....). Its the same helemt that saved my noggin.

Id rather play it safe though and Ill add the cost of a new helmet into my budget.

Comment

Working...
          X