sudden onset starting issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden onset starting issues

Hey folks... new around these parts.
    We picked up a used (very used) 2001 kat 600 for the little woman.
    It had been sitting for a few months and was very cold blooded for a few days, but then again it was cold outside.
    I picked up some new plugs and replaced them last night.
    It had NGK cr9e's I picked up ek's. now the bike is harder to start.

Coincidence? I am sure the carbs need attention.

to make matters worse, the bike went down today and now to start, she has to spin and spin and spin with the throttle pinned back and at that barely catches

I am thinking the spark plug thing was a fluke and the carbs need work...

... sound about right?

ps all 4 plugs spark when grounded

You are experiencing a phenomenon that ALWAYS happens. First, the carbs are the issue, always have been. When everything wears, and gets messed up, it all gets messed up together. When you replace one part of that worn and used system, all the other components can't keep up. The carbs need an overhaul, that's always been the problem.

Comment

sounds like the carbs need work to me. Katana carbs always need work. Period. Pain in the ass sometimes. A good way to know is to use carb cleaner/starting spray. If it fires, well, your not getting fuel. Coulda dislodged some debris or gunk on impact.

PS new plugs are a given. Always use new plugs. That isn't the difference in making a not running bike run though. Unless they are dripping wet, they are almost NEVER the problem.
      Last edited by maniac1886; 03-11-2015, 07:22 PM.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
        sounds like the carbs need work to me. Katana carbs always need work. Period.
        I would disagree with this part of your statement. I have owned my Kat since Oct. 2005, the only things I have ever done to my carbs has been to install a jet kit and sync them. As long as I make sure she gets started and run for a bit during the colder months I don’t have any problems.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Here in Michigan, Ive done it both ways. Ive left the carbs full off fuel, and I have drained them for the winter. Let me tell ya the difference I notice on that first spring fire up with I dont leave gas in them...

Also, Im sure you have had a good baseline to start with (clean carbs) where many of the bikes that come through this forum have NEVER been dipped. So, its like.... Yah, your carbs need to be cleaned. lol... but nobody gets it, so they just keep spraying carb cleaner at them.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I started into the carbs last night, I stopped after I got #1 tore down because my phillips wasn't up to the task.
            everything in there looks pretty good, guess I'll know more this evening.

side note I did some looking around the interwebs and made me a pretty good looking sync tool.
            I'll post up a pic later

Comment

Originally posted by markdavidson View Post
              I started into the carbs last night, I stopped after I got #1 tore down because my phillips wasn't up to the task.
              everything in there looks pretty good, guess I'll know more this evening.

side note I did some looking around the interwebs and made me a pretty good looking sync tool.
              I'll post up a pic later

Your Phillips isn't up to the task because they are JIS I think.
              1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                I would disagree with this part of your statement. I have owned my Kat since Oct. 2005, the only things I have ever done to my carbs has been to install a jet kit and sync them. As long as I make sure she gets started and run for a bit during the colder months I don’t have any problems.
                +1 simply starting it will flush the old fuel out.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
                  Your Phillips isn't up to the task because they are JIS I think.
                  that and the tip was wore out and now residing in the trash

Comment

Working...
                  X