X

Katana hates the cold, advise.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana hates the cold, advise.

Everytime, in the cold 30/40's (GA Cold, not even real cold). I almost have to say prayer, to hope, my bike will Start. 1st, the bike hates a choke. Will foul out the Iridium plugs in a quick. Will run like crap for the first 5 mins when it does start in the cold and once it is warmed up (5 mins later), It bikes runs GREAT!!!... I did clean out the carb last year. And since cleaning, I have let the bike idle or drove it every 2 weeks or so. I have ran a can of seaform. No luck. I did make a mistake left the petcock in prime( thought, it was reserve), sat a while, filled up the cylinders with fuel(needle didnt hold back the fuel), Changed oil, no problem like that again. That was about 2 months ago

Tomorrow I will pull the gas tank, clean off the spark plugs, and it will fire right up.

* First idea: Replace Spark Plugs...Its like the spark plug cant handle a rich condition and foul out quick. About 5 years old. But a non-driving 5 years. Just put good ole standard plugs in it

2nd Idea: Reinstall OEM Header. Im afraid lack of backpressure is causing starting issues, till she warms up. I have a Bandit 1200 header on it.

Mod list:
    2005 Katana 600
    Engine:
    Bandit 1200 Header w/ grinded welds,
    Ivans Jet Kit,
    Yoshimura RS-3 Powercoated Black,
    Factory Pro Advancer,
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs,

750 Oil Cooler with extended brackets

Tranny/Drivetrain:
    Barnett Clutches,
    Barnett Clutch Springs (2 Barnett/ 2 OEM),
    Factory Pro Shift Detent Kit (Spring and Bearing)
    RK/Vortex Chain and Sprocket 14/50 & 520 conv.
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-01-2015, 08:23 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Sounds like carburation to me, if it's fouling plugs you're too rich.
    Did it ever not run like this?

I didn't have good luck with the iridium plugs, I swapped back to the stock NKG's and it ran much better.

I don't think swapping the pipe will matter, don't make wholesale changes to the bike, you just might end up making it worse.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

+1, your running rich if the choke foul plugs. Does the oil smell like fuel?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I always had problems with cold weather starts on my 03, she'd bog on take off it I didn't let her warm up completely.
        Kyle

Comment

I rode my bike in 20 degree weather all the time with no problems. It does sound like you have some carb issues to work out.

Comment

I put the OEM 600 header back on yesterday. World of difference. Bike will actually take a Choke now. The bike just didnt like the 1200 header in the cold. With the OEM header back on all my low end torque is back, which make it alot more enjoyable, leaving stop sign and just dead stops.

2 day on the OEM setup, it didnt want to stay running without some revving today, just had to get it warmed up a little. So I idled it up some. Hopefully that will fix that. If not, it will be a band-aid for the real problem and Im really wanting that. We will see tomorrow. I will start it in the morning
            Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-08-2015, 07:49 PM.
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Oh, this is an easy fix, Just move to a warmer climate.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

A question: When you "clean out the carb" last year did you spray can it or follow Carbs 102?

I've run my bike all winter (unless there was snow or ice on the road in major amounts) down to 21 degrees. As long as it spends the night on a tender it starts up with just a little more cranking than normal (takes 2-3 seconds vs less than 1).
                Last edited by skjeflo; 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X