X

Kat won't do anything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat won't do anything.

Hi there, I'm super perplexed and I'll try to keep this short.

I'll start first-off by saying I should probably get a full set of new sparkplugs and try it again.

So as the weather got cold, the bike stopped starting up. I would charge the battery and dispense it all on trying to start the bike. I can hear everything working, but no Boomb that you would hear if there was even a small spark.

I know the bike has an oil leak on the valve cover gasket. I looked at the plugs and they all looked fine. Tested them and noticed #2 wasn't consistent, but the coils were definitely sending the signal. I bypassed the carbs and threw some carb cleaner right to the intake to see if it was just not enough fuel, and still, nothing.

Looked at the wires and plugs and nothing out of the ordinary, made sure everything was tight. I also sealed the wires up with an extra coat of electrical tape and tube to keep the bike from grounding in case that was an issue.

I just stepped back from it and sighed a big sigh and walked away.
    I spent most of my time resetting my carbs to stock. I'd like to get the machine running before a nice day happens by surprise, but I'm stumped. I'll be even more stumped if I replace the plugs and it still won't start up.

Any thoughts would be a big help.

Thanks
    -John

P.S. yes, I fully intend to fix the leak. It leaks from the Valve cover bolts at the top and also from the sides. I guess it's just a bad gasket.

Have you checked the voltage at the coils? Should measure 11v when you're cranking the engine. Less than that and the bike will have trouble starting. I believe I've heard people mention that with decreased power to the coils, cold weather starts are harder.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

yip... As will a dirty pilot circuit.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Have you checked the voltage at the coils? Should measure 11v when you're cranking the engine. Less than that and the bike will have trouble starting. I believe I've heard people mention that with decreased power to the coils, cold weather starts are harder.
        Believe it! Mine's a bitch to start in cold weather. It was 40 F (5 C) this morning and it took a lot of cranking. I still haven't gotten around to doing the coil relay mod yet. Soon...

FYI Ciaiphas, not that this is your answer at this point, but here's what I'm referring to:
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991

Comment

Working...
        X