X

94 600 idles at 12000rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 600 idles at 12000rpm

ok. Do just bought a 1994 600 katana. When I bought it the bike didn't want to idle at all so I took the carbs off (mikuni) disabled and cleaned everything. Now, I have put everything back together and she fires right up. The problem now it's it idles at 12000rpms. I've never seen anything do this before. Please help

Did you sync them? Check for binding linkage.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No binding. I did not sync. Didn't take the carburetors apart from each other and the carbs open at the same time. I can't leave the bike running long enough to do a proper sync.

Comment

Originally posted by joeA View Post
        I did not sync.
        That is what's called "answering your own question".

Comment

you will need to pull your carbs as bench sync them, then put them on and sync them while the bike is running.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanx. Will take them back off and bench sync.

Comment

Remember that you can easily bench sync them by adjusting all the throttle plates closed, then engaging your idle adjuster enough to get the desired result. Just don't forget when you're messing with your idle adjuster and tuning that you can actually kill your bike using your idle and it won't turn back on until you've run the adjuster up again. Ask me how I know.
              Follow up with a proper sync, idle drop, and proper sync again - you won't regret it.
              Last edited by Purplehaze; 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM.
              - Purplehaze
              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Thanx again for the help guys. Didn't have a chance to work on the bike till tonight. But here its a lesson for me to check all the stupid stuff before I look into the major things. the intake clamp behind the #2 carb was making the throttle array open. Should have checked that when I looked for the cable binding. Will be doing a proper sync on her tomorrow night. Again, thank you.

Comment

I thought so..... And you told me it wasn't..
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

yeah I know, my bad. Didn't even think to check that when I checked the cable. Thanx again man.

Comment

If the throttle was being held open, be glad it was only idling at 1200 RPM. That usually causes a much higher idle.
                      EDIT:
                      I don't know why I was reading that as "1200". Yeah 12000 sounds more like it.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 02-10-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

12000,Chris... not mad JoeA... My signature is there for that reason...
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

got it

Comment

Working...
                          X