No Spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark

Hey guys,

So, I'm not much of a mechanic but I've been trying to fix my non-starting bike for a while now. I have now figured out that I have NO spark with new spark plugs. What and how do I check next? I'm not sure where the wires from the coil even feed to? It's an 05 750f btw. Thanks everyone

Has it ever ran since you have owned it? The coils send spark to the spark plug. On a 600 they are under the gas tank, i dont know about a 750. Just follow the plug wires till they terminate at a little black box. It could be a number of things. I would check the voltage on the wires going into the coils with a mutlimeter (not the plug wires, the other pair). I dont remember off hand but either the clutch safety sensor or kickstand sensor kill power to the coils. If you are getting no power to the coils, I would check those, as well as checking your fuses for blown ones. If you are getting power to the coils, it must be more than 11v for the plugs to spark. if you are getting power to the coils, and its more than 11v, then your coils probably have crapped out. Before you declare them broken, take the connector on the plug wires that connect to the plug off the wires, trim about an inch off the wires then screw them back in and check for spark again. There is a way to test coils for functionality by testing the ohms from (i believe) plug wire to plug wire. There is a manual in the katana wiki above. Download that or do more searches on here for the procedure of ohming out coils.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thank you, I will try testing the wires/ finding the black box. And yea, I've owned it for 2 years. About 5 months ago I rode it one day, perfectly, and then the next day it just wouldn't start and hasn't since. But thank you again for the suggestions. I will look into those

Comment

Originally posted by JStanhope6 View Post
        ...I have now figured out that I have NO spark with new spark plugs.
        How did you determine that you have no spark?

What and how do I check next?
        This depends on ho you answer the first question.

I'm not sure where the wires from the coil even feed to? It's an 05 750f btw.
        Go to the Wiki and download the service manual for your bike.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I found out by taking the boots and plugs out individually and looking for a spark while holding it to frame and cranking. I got nothing. It's definitly not gas, or air related, as I flooded before getting new spark and the air filter is new.... And like I said before the fuses are fine. Pretty stuck. How would I go about checking the kickstand sensor? Oh, and btw, when I try to turn it on, it does crank and I do have all my lights, just won't turn over.

Comment

Working...
          X