post '98 750 carbs on an '89 750 ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post '98 750 carbs on an '89 750 ?

Hi All,

I've read the thread on carb swaps but it doesn't cover the 750 models.
    Has anyone done this swap?
    Any pointers appreciated.

Flash.

I haven't done the said swap, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard. However, I can't, in good faith, recommend it. IMO the pre 98 carbs are superior. Why don't you just use the pre 98 750 carbs?

Comment

Over here in the UK there are a lot more post 98 carbs available. Pre 98 carbs are rarer and overpriced in comparison to the later carbs. I don't do enough miles to justify a recon set. Buying the parts to recon my existing carbs would not be financially viable considering the age and value of the bike. I'm not bothered about a slight drop in performance.

So in practice would I need replacement, carb rubbers (carbs to head and carbs to airbox) ? I assume I could use my existing airbox, throttle and throttle cable?

Comment

Originally posted by flash gordon View Post
        Over here in the UK there are a lot more post 98 carbs available. Pre 98 carbs are rarer and overpriced in comparison to the later carbs. I don't do enough miles to justify a recon set. Buying the parts to recon my existing carbs would not be financially viable considering the age and value of the bike. I'm not bothered about a slight drop in performance.

So in practice would I need replacement, carb rubbers (carbs to head and carbs to airbox) ? I assume I could use my existing airbox, throttle and throttle cable?

I don't see your math working out the way you say. In my experience, buying the rubbers your talking about would put you very close to the costs of just having your carbs rebuilt NOT counting the cost of the carbs your buying to use. Being as those would be used, your very possibly ended up with another set that also needs rebuilt.

I'd suggest.... you just order a set from Arsenic done... and sell yours at that premium price over there to counter your costs. Chris may even be able to get the specific UK jets/needles for that, OR you could order just those new and send them to him for install.

That route would end up getting you best carbs at cheapest price for sure, with a lot less hassle in the long run.

Just a thought....

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

As far as the UK/US jetting thing. I find the whole thing to be bullshit in general. If you use a set of rebuilt carbs with US jetting, they will be just as good as a rebuilt set with UK jetting. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by flash gordon View Post
            I'm not bothered about a slight drop in performance.
            I'm not talking about a "slight drop in performance". We're talking about a Katana, performance isn't a factor. I'm talking about the 89-97 carbs running well and the 98+ carbs running like shit.

Comment

Working...
            X