Start switch wiring help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start switch wiring help.

OK...hard to explain but there I go.

On the first picture you can see both my switches on the handle.On on the left is looking cleaner.Its a 1996 kat 600 switch.The other is a 1988 switch.I want to put the 1996 switch on.The 3rd photo is the 1996 switch clip.The second is the 1988 kat clip.The thing is the wiring seems different.With the 1996 switch plugged I cannot start the bike.We tcheked the current everything is fine.We even manage to misplug the clip and start the bike with only the clutch pressed.lol...it acted as a starting button.

My theory is that the wires arent placed at the same place so both clips doesnt connect the same so my button doesnt get 12v.

The last pictures are my bikes.I am taking the 1996 and put it on a 1988.engine on the 1996 is dead.Sooo..The bike is now a huge mixed up piece of many things.

Question:Why isnt my bike starting.
    Attached Files

The plug terminal are different, the 96-97 wiring and components are specific to those years. You can hack it together or buy the right control. The 96-97 have more pins. Or you can remove the start button from the 88 and solder it back in the 96 control, visa versa
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-29-2015, 10:08 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Problem: My bike doesn't start
      Details: Changed switch pod from 88 -> 96

Suggestion: you crossed up some of the wires.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the thing that bothers me is that the oil thingy (brakes) level box is wired on the 1996 switch.The other isnt.Well...ill put back the 1988.

Comment

The 96-97 condensed the switches and wiring. I found out when I did the the 88 with a 97 loom and a 96 CDI.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Well...after removing the marrettes holding the wires...(wtf) and the soldering and redoing all the connections..

A 1988 katana 600
            With 1996 Suspension
            1998 Carb
            new plugs

Engine didnt start in 3-4 years.

WELL IT WORKS first try..Started..no strange sound at all..everything is fine at first glance.

YAY,,,

Comment

Congrats
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Nice!

FrankenKat lives!
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...