X

Throttle Cables stretched?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cables stretched?

Is it possible to have the throttle cables stretch on you?

It came across my mind today that when I reassembled my Kat before winter, the throttle didn't have nearly as much *snap* to it when returning to its original position after giving the throttle a good twist.

I played around with the cables before I fully reassembled, but didn't have much luck fixing the problem.

Posibility of the cables being twisted/stretched inside their sheathing?

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on remedying this problem?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
    Is it possible to have the throttle cables stretch on you?
    Yes

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
    Anyone have any comments or suggestions on remedying this problem?
    Buy new ones
    Last edited by arsenic; 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, they can stretch.

That's why there is an adjustment on them.

If they move freely off the bike, then it's most likely an install issue

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Any differences between the 600 and 750 cables besides the part #? Mainly length/fitment is what I'm after.

Edit: anyone know what the OEM/factory length is for the throttle and pull-back cable? May as well measure each to see how much it stretched (and if it actually did when I take them off my Kat).
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

You're not going to notice if they stretched by measuring them. The cable inside the sheath stretched, not the outside that you will get a measurement from. We're talking millimeters here, so a tad more than a 32nd of an inch. The pre 98 600 and 750 have a different handle bar heights. I'm not sure about the 98+ kats. If they have a different part number, they are different parts. They don't give the same part two different numbers.

Comment

Working...
          X