X

valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjustment

96 600 almost 14k on it im fixing to have to change the valve cover gasket do I need to check valve clearance and is that something I need to check often

Download the service manual from the wiki, it had a maintenance schedule in it. For a post Kat, I believe valve clearance should be checked every 7,5k miles. Not sure if your pre is the same, but download the manual and it'll tell you. Although if you're replacing the gasket and already have everything off and out of the way, go for it. The actual measuring/adjusting takes me 20-30 minutes now. Getting all the bits and bobs in the way off the bike and them back on again takes another hour and a half - two hours.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah.. I did one of those write-ups in the How-To section...
      If you checked there..
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Will1983 View Post
        96 600 almost 14k on it im fixing to have to change the valve cover gasket do I need to check valve clearance and is that something I need to check often
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133174
        2005 Katana 750

Comment

I looked until I feel asleep, there are so many

Comment

It is very easy to do, just time consuming. Should be done every 7500 miles. When you set your gap I have found that right in the middle of the range works best.. The manual explains how to do it quite well also. You'll need a valve tool or make one from a square head socket screw and some sort of handle.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              You'll need a valve tool or make one from a square head socket screw and some sort of handle.
              No he won't. I'm pretty sure a 1996 600 is shim valves, not screw. Shim valves adjustments are a huge pain in the ass. If you don't first purchase a master set of shims. Pay someone to do it.

Comment

Ok, good and bad for him, shim adjustments aren't bad if you have what you need, like the shim kits a micrometer and most of all math knowledge. I can bust the whole job out in 1-1.5 hr tops. Though I've done it a few times already. Why can't it just follow a progression, shim type then screw type.... Freakin suzuki. 88- screw. 92 could be either? It all over the place. Some day when I give a shit all learn who has what. I do know 96 is when some changes started to come in, loom, cdi, hand controls, cam chain/cam sprockets
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-22-2015, 03:36 PM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

And the spark plug diameter. the 96-97 600 has the same plugs as the 98-06 600. The 88-95 are different. I'm pretty sure 96-97 600 are still shim valves though. 98-06 are screw valve adjustments. I'm 100% sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    And the spark plug diameter. the 96-97 600 has the same plugs as the 98-06 600. The 88-95 are different. I'm pretty sure 96-97 600 are still shim valves though. 98-06 are screw valve adjustments. I'm 100% sure of that.
                    Are the valve cover gaskets the same as well? I'm looking for them online and having trouble finding them for an '02 600.

Comment

Yes...
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

yeah, it's a piece of rubber, it'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by kat_reflexes View Post
                          Are the valve cover gaskets the same as well? I'm looking for them online and having trouble finding them for an '02 600.
                          I ordered one from bikebandit.com maybe 7 months ago for my 06 600 and another for my 92 1100 maybe 4 months ago. Shouldn't be hard to find.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks fellas, I'm going to check bike bandit.

Comment

Originally posted by kat_reflexes View Post
                              Thanks fellas, I'm going to check bike bandit.
                              You would probably be ok reusing yours if it is not already messed up. I was worried because the local dealer does not stock it and I did not want to wait any longer. It went fine reusing mine on a 98 600. Just used I tiny bit of non hardening yamabond on the D shaped ends when putting it back together. I am coming up on time to do it again and I will reuse the same one again.

Comment

Working...
                              X