X

No Starter Response

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Starter Response

Hello all, new member to the site here, and intend on participating quite a bit! My baby is a 2006 Kat 750, and I've had a blast with it since day one.

On the same day that I see my odometer hit the 15,000 mile mark, is the same day I run into an upsetting issue with it. When I pulled out of my garage for a ride earlier, it fired up just fine. Hasn't been but a week since I last rode it, and since I live in Alabama, it doesn't have to fight against frigid weather to get going. Anywho, as I was getting back towards my house, I stopped on the side of the road to chat with someone in my subdivision, and then... it wouldn't start back up. As in, it did practically nothing at all. I press the start button, and can see all the lights go dim as they usually do when you hit the starter, but not turning over, not doing anything. I made sure that the kickstand was all the way up, as well as ensuring it was in neutral, and still same result. It's very upsetting because I've never had the slightest little problem with this bike whatsoever. Anyone willing & able to provide any ideas on how I can diagnose and/or fix this? I can honestly say I am clueless as to where to even begin.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and again, glad to be a part of the group.

Welcome to the site. Did you hear a click when you hit the starter button? If no, I'd try to jump the starter solenoid and/or change the fuse in it. If yes, I'd lean towards the battery. Although I kind of doubt it's a battery.

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Check the plunger the kick stands depresses when it's up, if one of the bolts has loosened it could pivot and the kickstand would no longer depress it. And check that your battery is solidly connected and free of corosion.

I've had both those issues lol, the only other thing that comes to mind is the clutch sensor plug under the left hand control pod may have loosened.
      Kyle

Comment

Make sure the battery is fully charged, 1) check the fuses on the relay, good? If so 2) measure the voltage on the two small wires on the relay when attempting to start. Voltage 12v? Yes, does the relay click? Yes check voltage on the relay output terminal , 12v? If no bad relay. If no click, check the side stand system and the clutch safety switch. If yes 3) jump the two large posts with a large gauge wire, does the starter turn? Yes, bad relay no bad starter.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There's no click when attempting to start it. My instinct is leaning towards either the sidestand switch, or the clutch. I got off work early today so I'll be in the garage brainstorming until I get it resolved (hopefully).

Comment

Aside from the battery...I would check these switches for continuity and/or that they are functioning on/off with a multimeter & needle probe (lance wire if need be with probe):
            1. Starter Button
            2. Start/Stop switch
            3. Clutch switch
            4. Kickstand switch
            5. Key switch (headlight on, right?)
            6. Starter solenoid & relay
            7. Neutral switch/indicator

Keep in mind it's probably something real simple/stupid...

PS - why are your posts in BOLD ? - It makes it harder for us to read...

Comment

Sorry about that, thought it might make it easier! but Yeah I'm sure it'll end up being something minuscule. I have very basic mechanical knowledge so it's a tad more challenging, especially electrical stuff; not my strongpoint. I have the fairing removed and everything, checked the relay fuses, and they're good, along with any other fuse I could find. Process of elimination I guess, accompanied by the hope that I don't screw anything up worse than what I already have. lol

I see a couple folks here recommending to jump the two posts on the relay, but I don't want to do that perhaps the wrong way and somehow fry the starter or anything. Do I just run jumper cables straight from the battery terminals to the relay terminals? Loosen the cables (that run from relay to starter) first?
              Last edited by aubrntigrs08; 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No!!!!! Just use a large wire and touch the large posts with it, continuing the circuit, the starter should turn, key off please and bike in neutral. Don't want any surprises
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

OK, so I jumped the posts on the relay. Starter turned without a problem. I find it comforting to know that that particular part isn't shot. Meanwhile, does this tell me that the issue is definitely the relay?

Comment

Measure the voltage at the small wires on the relay, should be 12v while trying to start.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

If you jump the relay and it starts, that means the relay IS shot. Replace it and be happy again. Before you replace the relay, which may be required. There is a fuse in it. Make sure it's just not a blown fuse.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 11-26-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X