X

Ignition advancer on a 92 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition advancer on a 92 600

I've been looking at doing some more work to my bike, and it looks like my next steps after dropping in an FP Stage 1 will be changing the sprocket counts and potentially installing an ignition advancer.

However, despite my reading through many posts about this advancer upgrade, I couldn't find an explicit mention of its effect on fuel economy. It's not my primary concern, but I don't want to kill my gas mileage (>3-4mpg difference). I would imagine that, since the advancer optimizes the spark timings, leading to a better burn, that this upgrade would either slightly increase fuel economy (less wasted fuel) or at least not have a noticeable effect. Am I correct in assuming this? Thanks.

Absolutely no affect. It just move the power band to a more usable rpm. Fuel economy is in the wrist. Unless your carbs aren't setup correctly or dirty. (I don't understand why fuel usage is an issue or a concern or people try to squeeze more mpg out of a bike that gets around 46-48 mpg, if your that broke you need to walk ) rant over.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That's the kind of mileage I should be getting? It's a good thing I just ordered a rebuilt set of carbs. Mine are in bad shape, rigged to high hell, and I've been getting substantially less than that. I knew I was running rich as hell (even after backing off the needles and floats) Screw mileage then. Thanks. Don't ask about the size of the jets. We don't speak of those monstrosities.

Comment

A good running KAT will get around that but, your attitude and wrist will dictate the actual milage.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Naturally.... but I've only been getting 26-29.... AFTER getting them cleaned in an ultrasonic. Once they get dirty, that goes down to about 20. I was assuming I should be getting mid-to-high thirties if I ride conservatively. I use the kat as a daily rider, so I generally don't go balls to the wall with it (couldn't if I wanted to with interstate traffic in the mornings). Every once in a while I hit the country roads to have some fun and open up the throttle, but that's the exception. I'm sure a valve adjustment wouldn't hurt either, but I'll leave that to a mechanic.

Anyways, my rant is besides the point. Thanks for the info. I'll have to research which advancer I want to go with. I'm leaning towards the FP one at this point, but want to check out what else is available first.
          Last edited by pr1v1t; 09-20-2014, 03:51 PM. Reason: Changed "that rant" to "my rant" for clarification

Comment

Factory pro advancer, valve adjustments are simple if you can follow the manual and have the proper tools.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

The way your carbs are currently set up with shimmed OEM needles and 115 main jets. It's going to be rich. Don't expect to see a big jump in MPG's. Once you install the FP jet kit down the road, you will be good to go. Just don't expect a huge change now.

Comment

Understood. Ordering the FP kit ASAP. Hopefully, it'll be here the same day as the carbs.

Comment

When you install the FP kit, it comes with 115 and 117.5 main jets. 112.5 are stock. You'll want to use the 115 main jets. The 115's are installed in your carbs right now. They're new. So when you get the FP kit, just change the needles. That's all you have to do.

Comment

You're a lifesaver. When I say rich, I mean having to replace fouled sparkplugs in under two months rich. Previous owner used DJ without the shims and 120 main jets. I'm pretty sure the pilots were swapped out as well. I've been too cheap to get it done the right way previously. That was an expensive mistake that is now being rectified.
                    Last edited by pr1v1t; 09-20-2014, 04:42 PM. Reason: Because reasons... and ranting.

Comment

This thought has come up before when advancers have been discussed. Is there a way to tell if a PO has done this mod? Would there be markings on the advancer plate that would show stock or aftermarket? This sounds like a good mod for me. The way I ride I am not screaming the bike around. I am coming out of most corners between 4 and 5k and it sounds like the advancer helps at that kind of rpm. Is my understanding correct?
                      Last edited by rschlegel; 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Usually a brand name would be stamped on it. Like FP = factory pro. In less your going to take measurements of it. Some have even moded the backing plate. I don't condone that mod.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

It's really easy to tell the OEM rotor. It has a part # on it if my memory serves correctly... which is iffy. I think it say's "Denso" on it too.

Comment

+1 on denso, I see no number though. Ok I see a number 48B2. Part number? Or part designation?
                            Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-20-2014, 09:03 PM.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              Factory pro advancer, valve adjustments are simple if you can follow the manual and have the proper tools.
                              Yeah, I called around a few shops for quotes. Not pretty. I think I'll just bust out the service manual and check some of the write-ups in the how-to section. Worst case, buying tools would be a lot cheaper than the $300-$400 I'm getting quoted, and I'll know that it's done in a manner that at least remotely resembles correctly. I have the valve gauges and hand tools already. Just gotta bust out the manual and the torque wrench.

Comment

Working...
                              X