X

Bike issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike issues...

Hello, I got this bike and it was running and starting fine but using too much gas... At about 23mpg... The carbs were cleaned when I bought it about 3k miles ago. I have replaced the spark plug, air filter, and changed the oil and saw a big difference. I am now getting about 30mpg (is that normal or should I be getting more?). The problem I got now is that I'm having a hard time starting the bike at times. It will crank but it won't start unti the 3 or 4th attempt and I have to give it gas with the throttle as well when before it would start right up. Also when cold it won't idle.. Rpms will fall to about 500 and then die.. I have to keep giving it gas or leave the choke on for a couple of mins until it warms up and then it will idle. This is my first bike and not very macanic savy... And input and help is apreciated.. Thanks
    92 Katana 750...

Originally posted by El Chakas View Post
    ... I have replaced ..., air filter,
    With what filter? an OEM?
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

You still have carb issues.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Somethings not right with the carbs.
        Take them off re-clean and take your time doing it.
        measure your float heights ,all four butterflies , idle air screws..ect.
        use vernier calipers for measuring. bench sync ,,ect
        soak them overnight in berrymans carb dip & blow everything out with compressed air. That should do it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Dam I guess I'll have to clean the carbs... It'll be more first time doing it so we'll see how it goes... :/
          92 Katana 750...

Comment

It's really not that bad. For a first timer, I'd advise disassembling and soaking 1 carb body at a time. This will help prevent loosing parts (fewer loose ones rolling around, and easier to stay organized) and make it harder to forget to reinstall something - less going on. Plus then if you get stuck you can look at one of the untouched ones for reference. The hardest part is getting everything unscrewed. The heads are soft and tend to strip. Replace all the screws with Allen head ones. Arsenic sells them. I just bought a set from him last week actually.

Not sure what year your bike is but in the wiki, carbs 101 is for 97 and earlier Kats, carbs 102 is for 98+. Read and follow the appropriate version.

For my 600 I'm getting 50mpg btw. Nothing really special done to it.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              It's really not that bad. For a first timer, I'd advise disassembling and soaking 1 carb body at a time. This will help prevent loosing parts (fewer loose ones rolling around, and easier to stay organized) and make it harder to forget to reinstall something - less going on. Plus then if you get stuck you can look at one of the untouched ones for reference. The hardest part is getting everything unscrewed. The heads are soft and tend to strip. Replace all the screws with Allen head ones. Arsenic sells them. I just bought a set from him last week actually.

Not sure what year your bike is but in the wiki, carbs 101 is for 97 and earlier Kats, carbs 102 is for 98+. Read and follow the appropriate version.

For my 600 I'm getting 50mpg btw. Nothing really special done to it.
              That reminds me, can you leave me feedback yet?

Comment

Ok.. About how long does the whole process take? It's a 92 I will look thru carbs 101 and followe it... Yeah idk why I'm getting so little mileage... :/
                92 Katana 750...

Comment

If you do it right, about a 5 days. 1 day per carb = 4. Another day for the jetting.

Comment

Working...
                  X