X

Left Prime On

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Prime On

So i left for a couple of days and when returning i noticed my bikes petcock was set to prime, pulled the tank, airbox, and carbs and yeah gas pouring out of the carbs.

what should i do ?

remove tank, airbox, and carbs and let set overnight hoping to let the gas if any evaporate from the airbox, and engine ?

also im guessing that my float height was incorrect as if was set properly would have not allowed for this to happen correct ?

Did Gas pour out before or after you removed the carbs? Carbs do store a fair amount of fuel in the bowls that may be where it was coming from. If the air box was dry I don’t think there is a problem, if there was fuel in the air box then I would check the oil level, if it is above normal remove your oil fill plug and take a sniff to check for the smell of gas in your oil.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
      Did Gas pour out before or after you removed the carbs? Carbs do store a fair amount of fuel in the bowls that may be where it was coming from. If the air box was dry I don’t think there is a problem, if there was fuel in the air box then I would check the oil level, if it is above normal remove your oil fill plug and take a sniff to check for the smell of gas in your oil.
      I am getting a hint of Gas smell from the oil

Comment

Ok, but was there fuel in the air box? You could do an oil & filter change just to be sure though.

Comment

Leaving your bike in prime shouldn't hurt anything. Change your oil/filter, service your carbs. They shouldn't leak fuel or over fill.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1

You could also have floats that aren't sealing correctly. I'd recommend doing the blow test to see if the floats seal, then assuming it fails that, removing the carbs and hooking up an aux fuel source. Let it sit for a bit, and you should be able to tell which carb body is your problem. Granted if you're having an issue like this a full clean/rebuild would bd the best way to go, but this would at least ID where you need to pay extra attention to.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

OK change oil/filter, and so is my assumption correct that with the improper float setting this would allow gas to over flow into the engine and airbox ?

Comment

No, sticking float needle would be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                  No, sticking float needle would be the problem.
                  ok thanks ill look into that, i did notice that my settings was around 10-11 until i adjusted to the recommended 14.6 today

Comment

I've left mine on prime before without incident, thought it was on reserve.

Comment

Could gas in the oil cause an irate idle ?

Comment

nope, but the reason there is gas in the oil probably could. That would be some type of float height/needle weirdness.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          nope, but the reason there is gas in the oil probably could. That would be some type of float height/needle weirdness.
                          lol of course thanks, i did notice something today. that my spark plugs have a significant amount of carbon buildup on them, this is prolly a stupid question as arsenic will more then likely point out but can an improper amount of air/fuel cause an irate idle ?

i checked for a vac leak and for nothing could i find one and i sprayed every little inch of the motor with wd40, and water.

Comment

Yes, a carburetors job is to mix fuel and air. So if you're idle is messed up, you have a carburetor problem. The improper air/fuel mix doesn't narrow that down. Even a little bit. WD-40 isn't going to help you find a vacuum leak. Water even less.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              Yes, a carburetors job is to mix fuel and air. So if you're idle is messed up, you have a carburetor problem. The improper air/fuel mix doesn't narrow that down. Even a little bit. WD-40 isn't going to help you find a vacuum leak. Water even less.
                              would you suggest starter fluid ? lol, idk i just seen people say wd40 because it has no effect on the rubbers and water would be even better as it would cause it to bog down anyways. could you point me in the proper direction ?

** also does the 97 gsx600f have vacport orings ? i know some models did not come with them im just not sure as to which

Comment

Working...
                              X