X

Strange noises...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noises...

A few days ago I got caught riding in a pretty bad storm. I was riding into the wind...and rain, at about 55mph when my bikes tone changed to a deep low gurguly kind of noise, and slowly began to lose power. At this point the bike died, so I coasted to a stop, waited a few and attempted to restart. She didn't want to start right away, but got her running after a few tries. Got a few more miles down the road, and same thing, tone drop, and slow loss of power. Now the rain has slowed a bit and and I turned north from the wind and she rode fine all the way home, about another 30 miles or so. Ever since this happened, when I hit a slight bump, it will drop the tone and make this gurguly burring noise for a second then go away. What in world could this be? (When the bike is losing power, if I clutched in and gave it some throttle, it would return to it's former sound and performance for a few)

Originally posted by Kat600noob View Post
    A few days ago I got caught riding in a pretty bad storm. I was riding into the wind...and rain, at about 55mph when my bikes tone changed to a deep low gurguly kind of noise, and slowly began to lose power. At this point the bike died, so I coasted to a stop, waited a few and attempted to restart. She didn't want to start right away, but got her running after a few tries. Got a few more miles down the road, and same thing, tone drop, and slow loss of power. Now the rain has slowed a bit and and I turned north from the wind and she rode fine all the way home, about another 30 miles or so. Ever since this happened, when I hit a slight bump, it will drop the tone and make this gurguly burring noise for a second then go away. What in world could this be? (When the bike is losing power, if I clutched in and gave it some throttle, it would return to it's former sound and performance for a few)
    My first though would be a plugged drain hole on a plug well. Water sitting around a plug would cause spark issue.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks, I'll remove the tank and check. I know some of the rubber boots there werent seated real well. But would that cause the 'bump' issue?

Comment

Had this exact same problem, always had to sort it everytime after a rain-ride. Check your wires to boot connections, mine were corroding due to malspark and had to be snipped back. Eventually just got coils-forward replacement from my parts Kat and the problem was sorted.
        - Purplehaze
        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Purple haze, is there a tutorial somewhere on snipping back the coils? I have an idea of how to do it, but I don't want to jack something up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat600noob View Post
            Purple haze, is there a tutorial somewhere on snipping back the coils? I have an idea of how to do it, but I don't want to jack something up.
            Here you go.

Remove gas tank.
            pull a plug wire and boot out of the plug well.
            hold wire firmly and pull on the boot.
            If it comes off you have a bad connection.
            clip the end of the wire off. Go back as far as you need to get to soft flexible rubber. Probably 1/2 inch.
            screw the boot back on the wire.
            Put wire and boot back on plug.
            repeat on the next 3.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You sir, are the tits, thanks. Always so helpful. If I can get my gf to man the camera, I'll post pics when I do it, hopefully this evening or the next.

Comment

Working...
              X