X

Mechanical Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Issues

I recently bought a 2002 katana 600 from a friend which rides pretty well. I just came across an issues today that I have no idea what is going on and hoping someone could enlighten me to what the issue is.

When I start the bike, the head lights do not come on, the left turn signal indicator on the dash lights up and stays solid and the same with the high-beams light indicator stays solid. When I try to turn on the high beams the lights do not come on at all. I can use the right turn signal but both front, back, and the indicator flashes.. but when I try to turn on the left turn signals the lights dont flash. The front left doesn't turn on at all, the indicator stays solid, and the back left turn signal stays solid (on) as well.

I dont know if it's a fuse which I dont think it would be but im NO expert when it comes to this. I am a noob and want to figure out what is wrong with it. Can anyone help or has issues like this before..

At first I thought it was because the bike was too hot because this happened to me earlier today but everything worked completely fine after the bike was running for alittle.. but since I came home from work today the lights stayed on and have no idea whats going on. PLEASE HELP!!

I'd say that's one or more electrical issues - not mechanical.

Has everything previously worked perfectly?

Sounds like a short / false earth issue - hopefully in a switch or plug. The wiring harnesses on these Kats can be problematic. You probably need to trace through the harness - paying particular attention to the indicator and headlight circuits. Check the wires are not damaged and all connections / plugs are sound. The 10-pin plug behind the dash - accessed through the cover above the headlight - is known to be suspect. I would start there, but also check around the battery / fuse box and perhaps the left switch gear. A multimeter or at the very least, test light would be handy. Make sure you download the free manual from the Wiki on KR and refer to the wiring diagram for your model.

Comment

verify proper grounds. wiring harness diagram is available in the wiki at the top of the page.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
      X