93 GSX750F Won't Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 GSX750F Won't Start

Hello Katriders!

First off, thanks to everyone who has given me tips so far! I now have all the pieces to the puzzle of my Kat and things such as my Choke now work.

My bike won't start. =(

Let me give the run through.

When I first got the bike in August last year it took about 6-7 seconds to turn over with the choke on, on a warm day. Then it would struggle to start and finally come up. Then it would idle for a bit and when I rode it, it was ok. However, if I would adjust the idle right after it started to about 900RPM. When I would stop sometimes it would race up to 2-4k RPM others it would just stall on me.

So not ideal. I many times would come up to a stop sign and stall with the clutch in, others it would be 2-4k =(

So I decided to clean the carbs this spring! I noticed some weird things like my 3-4 carb vacuum lines for syncing were plugged in to each other with a 5 inch hose. So I capped those.

I also cleaned out the carbs and noticed a jet and needle kit had been installed. 107.5mm main Jets in 1, 2, 4. 112.5mm in carb #3. So they were 2.5mm bigger than stock. Also the needle kit has the washer on the lowest rung(closest to the tip of the needle).

So the A/F screws were 3-4 turns out, I assume since there was so much more fuel getting in there, we need more air!

So when cleaning the carbs, I put everything back just about the same way, 3 turns on the A/F screws. Then I just put the carbs on(no airbox) and it fired right up! I also remember there being a problem of when you would rev the engine it would take a while for the RPMs to drop which many people say means it is running lean. So I removed the carbs, turned the screws to 2.75 turns out. Added the airbox with the carbs off(much easier) and installed them.

At this point the bike wouldn't start. After letting it sit, walking away, etc. for a while it eventually just decided to start. Except it would race up to 6k RPMs immediately. So I took the carbs/airbox out, removed the airbox and tried to reinstall just the carbs. Again it didn't work. Came back the next day and it started, except this time it raced up to 12k RPMs.

I looked around and I don't see any cracks in my engine intake boots, and I was tightening them all the way down.

So today I took the carbs off, drained them, checked all of the floats and A/F screws to make sure the washers were all ok. And I realized my Main Jets in carbs 2/3 were wrong. I put the larger jet in carb 2. So I switched those around and snugged everything back up. I also did another bench sync this time only letting about 1/4 of that first hole show to see if that helped. And now it won't start at all.

The battery is now on a charger because I've just about drained it, but I figured I would post here and see if anyone had enough time to read my whole post.

I'm just about ready to bring it to someone to look, but I hate paying for something I know I am capable of doing but for whatever reason am missing something.

Was the above too long, here is the short version:
    TLDR::
    Bike was running poorly, stall at red lights. Followed carbs 101/102 cleaned it all out. It worked, then it didn't, now it races up to like 12k RPM when I start it, and I cleaned it again, and now it won't start at all.
Working...
X