1998 Katana will not start in the cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Katana will not start in the cold

Hey Everyone,

I scrapped my 1990 kat and bought a 1998 kat this season in tip top condition. Got it inspected by a new mechanic and he gave the go ahead.

Everything seems to run fine once I get it started - runs well, idles well etc.

My only gripe with this bike is when it's cold right now its about 40 degrees and raining. It will turn over and sound like it's about to start but doesn't. I thought it was the battery as when I bought it the lights would dim a bit when it I revved it. So I put in a new charged battery and it still did the same thing... waited a couple days and my mechanic came by(was about 50 degrees that day) and he started it by opening the choke all the way and openning the throttle a bit. Seemed effortless...

Now I go today and it was raining a bit(bike was covered) and it sounded like it was going to start(I had the choke off) but just sputtered and kept turning over. I opened the choke up and tried againt opening the throttle a bit and heard a loud BANG from the exhaust. Like a gunshot -

So I just said forget it and left it and came to the boards.

I would like to try riding this bike to work etc in the mornings when it's a bit chilly - and I don't have a garage for it..

How can I get this thing to start?!

have you tried pulling a plugs and then cranking it? It sounds like the cylinders are loaded...
    sigpic
    '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

No I haven't, I was reading the owners manual - to get to the plugs seems a little tough? I have to remove all types of panels no?

Comment

The choke has to be properly applied to start a cold bike. If that's not it, then...

I would suggest you check your voltage at the coils. Need to have 11+ for the bike to start when cold like that. If you have an electrical loss of power to the coils for some reason, fixing that will fix your cold start issues.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It started no problem today, it seems like the first time I try I have to get it.
          I put the choke on and started and it fired up - left the choke on for a minute and then turned it off but reved for a bit.

What baffles me is it seems like if I don't get it that first time, It's impossible to get after unless I wait a day? it just turns over and over but won't have any life unless I wait?

Another quick question is it normal that the engine smokes a bit after a rain and through puddles?

And if the neutral light dims a bit when I rev it stationary?

Thanks for the help so far

Comment

Had that happen a few times - if I didn't get it to fire the 1st time, it wouldn't go at all. Replaced the battery and all was well. Lots of auto stores will test batteries for free, might be worth looking into. If the battery is on its way out, there might be sufficient power to turn the starter, but not sufficient power at the coils for good spark.
            As far as your smoking engine - it's probably just steam. If it's only doing where it's wet, you're fine. If you don't smell anything burning...there's probably not a fire.
            About the neutral light - mine does it too...never caused a problem...if it's a symptom of one, guess we both need educating.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
            X