X

Some ? about valve clearance and carb sync

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some ? about valve clearance and carb sync

I have been waiting to check valve clearances because I do not have the cash for a carb sync tool yet. I am guessing that I am overthinking this but I keep hearing that you should do a carb sync after adjusting the valves. Is it likely to have considerable running issues if you do not sync right after or is it more of fine tuning? There is no issue making me feel like the valves need checked other than mileage just passing 15k miles and only having this bike since just over 11k miles. Would I be best off waiting a month until I can get the carb sync tool (another 400 to 600 miles) or just do the valve adjustments and do the carb sync when I can?

It sounds like valve clearances usually tighten up as wear occurs. Is it best to adjust towards the loose side of the range or the middle?

Places to be careful,
    Obviously do not drop anything into the motor. Make sure seals are in good shape and are accounted for. Only use light sealant on D caps reinstalling valve cover. Are there any other helpful tips or warnings before starting this?

I like to adjust my valves to be in the middle of the acceptable range.

You can get pretty close with a bench synch but might still experience some problems until you are able to do a proper synch with a manometer.

Something like this may get the job done, there are plenty of threads on it.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 to the homemade version. Couple bucks and you don't have to wait a month for $ to order one. They're not as fancy but they work well enough.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Here are more questions for you guys. I decided to do the valve adjustments and everything is off. I did not remove the signal generator cover and went with lining up the marks on the ends of the camshafts.
        1st, how likely is it that the sig gen gasket gets screwed up while removing and needs replaced?
        2nd, When the marks are pointed away from each other the manual states that you can check the intake valves at cyl 1 and cyl 3. When looking at these the #3 lobe is pointed up and the #1 lobe is pointed off to the side. I am guessing that it is ok to check #1 because with the cam lobe 90 degrees off to the side you are already completely off the lobe?
        3rd, is it more precise to take the sig gen cover off and turn the motor that way to line up the marks behind it rather than the marks on the cam ends?
        At least I think the PO had the valves checked before because they used some sealer on the valve cover gasket. The only problem is it was used on more than the D ends. It looks like they used more than needed but I do not see it really on the inside edge of the engine. There was a bit that squished in at the D ends and I was able to remove it and get it out of there. I have the valve cover gasket pretty cleaned up but there are some spots where old sealer is stuck on. Should I just order a new one? I also found that the odd valve cover bolt that is right behind the oil cooler was gone so I will need to get another one.
        Last thing for now. Since the valve cover is off and it looks like it will stay that way possibly until next Friday if I cant find gaskets, I put cling wrap over the top of the motor to keep dust out. Is that ok or should I use something else?
        Thanks again for all the advice.
        I am enjoying the process other than worrying about getting it wrong and screwing my bike up.

Comment

sync tool

This is the sync tool I built.. Lets you do all the carbs at the same time...

Comment

Finished up the valve adjustment. Was actually pretty relaxing (snowing so not torn between wrenching or riding). Old plugs looked good but put new in anyways. Decided to replace the fuel filter then found that the lines cracked removing the filter so put new lines and filter in. Started right up with a quick switch to prime and then back to normal setting. Rode it around the neighborhood and felt good. Did not check it out long as it was 30 degrees f and snowing. I have decided to wait until next month to get the motion pro carb sync tool and will sync then. The old gaskets all seemed to be ok so all were reused.

Comment

Working...
            X