Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike makes a whirling sound but engine not turning over?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike makes a whirling sound but engine not turning over?

Hi all it has been a long time since my last post.
    All is good and the bikes are running well, that was up until yesterday.
    I have been riding her (750) to work but when I tried to start her the other morning all I herd was a loud clunk followed by a whirling sound. I tried again and got the same results, just a whirling sound.
    Please could someone tell me what might be the problem?

Thanks

Tok

same problem here, but slightly different...

I have a 97 Katana 600. The starter spins, moves all gears connected to it, but she doesn't want to start. I can push start her just fine, but the starter and connected gears refuse to grab. I'm extremely limited in my knowledge regarding motorcycles, and I don't want to take her back to the shop. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

First check the starter clutch nut hasn't come loose, common problem. Use locktite on the nut.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thank you. I will try that. After asking around, I heard that my issue may be a bad starter clutch. I'll definitely be tightening the nut after applying lock tight first though.

Comment

No luck tightening the bolt, it's the starter clutch. I found an exact fit for my 97 Kat 600 on eBay for $24, should be here soon. I've found the constant push starting to be slightly inconvenient, but as long as I'm able to ride, I don't care.

Comment

Working...
          X