Compression numbers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression numbers

Hey guys,

My new favorite tool is a compression tester!

anyways. I just picked up an engine from a guy who said "the compression was good, don't remember the numbers; but they were really high."

After testing the compression I got these numbers from right to left.

The service manual says the engine must be rebuilt when the difference between any two cylinders is more than 28 psi...

This engine has been sitting for a while, and was not warm before the test as the manual asks...

Do you guys think the engine is worth it? Or should I return it?

A compression tester may be your new favorite tool. Imagine how much fun you'd have with a leak down tester. I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers until they are confirmed with a leak down test. As far as "do I think the engine is worth it". I don't think a Katana is worth it. Oil cooled engines that fit that frame are a dime a dozen. If you did in fact get a lemon, take it back and try again.
    Last edited by arsenic; 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      A compression tester may be your new favorite tool. Imagine how much fun you'd have with a leak down tester.
      GAWK! What is this leak down tester you speak of! I went 6 months before I got the idea to do a compression test

Comment

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Wikipedia article has a decent explanation.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
        X