X

Carb Cleaning Tool?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning Tool?

I was browsing BikeBandit trying to put together an order to clean and sync my carbs. I am going to get one of the Motion Pro carb syncing tools, but than I saw this also...

Once I figure out how to do carbs, I have to do it on my girlfriends GS500 and an old Honda dirt bike she bought. So if this will make cleaning the carbs easier I'd definitely pick it up.

Has anyone used something like this or would this not be needed if I'm going to soak the carbs anyways?

This is the carb sync tool I was going to buy... Motion Pro Sync Tool Has anyone had experience using either tool or have any better suggestions on tools?
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

I can't say one way or the other if the carb cleaning tool works. id be leary about puttin anything metal through your jets on account it could scratch the pilot holes. I believe I used toothpicks cuz they aren't hard enough to put scratches in the metal
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Meh, not saying it wouldn't be a sound investment but seeing as how Chem-Dip, Compressed Air, and Fishing line does the trick, just do the trick.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Well, I have something similar, and I never use it for what it's intended for. The smallest metal wire doesn't fit through the pilot jets anyway. You don't even need fishing line, Chem-Dip and compressed air is all you need.

Comment

Maniac nailed it you dont want to be putting anything through a jet or airway that could damage it

+1 on fishing line if you really HAVE to use something, if its jet causing trouble & i cant clear it i prefer to replace it from stock but have used fishing line when really stuck
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Thanks guys. First time dipping into doing my carbs and just want to have every possible tool that will make my life easier. So as far as the motion pro sync tool goes, everyone agrees that's best tool for syncing carbs? The new one's don't contain mercury, which is what I read a lot of people used to complain about.
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

+1 on fishing line. never thought of that!
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Looks like a relabeled welding tip cleaner!

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                  So as far as the motion pro sync tool goes, everyone agrees that's best tool for syncing carbs? The new one's don't contain mercury, which is what I read a lot of people used to complain about.
                  I use the Morgan CarbTune. I've always used it because like you said, the Motion Pro used to contain mercury. I've never used the new Motion Pro without mercury so I can't comment. I can tell you I've never experienced any issues with the CarbTune.

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                  Looks like a relabeled welding tip cleaner!
                  Agreed, it's the same thing really.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 02-06-2014, 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    I use the Morgan CarbTune. I've always used it because like you said, the Motion Pro used to contain mercury. I've never used the new Motion Pro without mercury so I can't comment. I can tell you I've never experienced any issues with the CarbTune.

Agreed, it's the same thing really.
                    Thanks arsenic. I was considering the morgan carbtune as well, may go with that one instead since it works well for you. I appreciate the response!

This one here what you use, arsenic? http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/...olumn-22-p.asp
                    Last edited by rottenpixies; 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM.
                    - Josh

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Agreed the carbtune is the one to get

FYI the old carbtune used to contain mercury which was banned here in the uk hence the move to stainless rods but i doubt arsenic is old enough to remember that

The only problem you are likely to get is a sticky rod if you get a bit of moisture or grit in there, keep them capped & well stored so you dont get this problem
                        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I got my Carbtune Pro 4-col and Tool pouch for a little less than $100.00 shipped.
                          If you can get it for that or less your good to go ~
                          And yes, that's the one!

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

I have the Carbtune pro carb tuner also. +++++
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by loneraider; 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys! I was sold after aresenic said it's the one he uses, but you guys re-enforcing that really helped me make my choice. Going to order one soon. I believe from the website I posted it was going to be about $100 (US dollars) just for the carb tool and the pouch was like an extra $15. So it's a little more than what you paid, JBO, but I don't mind paying a few extra bucks knowing I'm getting something of decent quality and works right.
                              - Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X