No announcement yet.
X

engine is acting weird all of a sudden.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine is acting weird all of a sudden.

i've never had ANY problem with the engine on my KAT since i got it 2004.

Yesterday i washed it, not unlike i've ever done before, let it sit for about 30minutes while i got ready. Started it and let it warm up. Walked in house for a min and after about 1min i heard engine idle (with choke on as usual) drop. I went outside and it sounded a bit BUBBLY. When i give it gas its still bubbly up till about 6k and sounds fine. I drove it about 3miles thinking maybe i got water in filter and hoped it would cough it out. but NOPE. i took the filter out today and ran it with nothing in box...its still doing it. Other than a spark plug fouling...is ther anything else it could be ? Im going to check plugs in alittle bit.
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

ok so i took off the plug wires and this is what happens.

I take the OUTSIDE cylinders off 1 by 1 and it doesnt change, i take off the inside cyclinder 1 by 1 and engine either WONT START or runs horrible. I've replaced the 2 outside spark plugs and no change
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Did you by chance get water in the gas tank somehow?

If you have good spark - and the air filter is ok, then that leaves fuel.
      Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

so you're saying the bike runs the same with either outside spark plug boot removed? could you have gotten water in the ignition coil? I'll have to look to see wich coil fires wich cylinders.

ok looks like one coil feeds the 1 &4 cylinders (outside) so I would start there. look for a loose connection or more likely water logged coil or connector.

Comment

ya i just did a test on the coils...the one for the outside do nothing when removed. but the other one engine wont start. I think thats the culprit now to price it and if a spark plug is 10 friggin dollars, i dont wanna see the coil pack.

The thing was when i pulled off the wires on outside cylinders, to test spark..i DID get shocked, BUT i have no way of telling if the current is right, meaning its not DEAD just going dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
            ya i just did a test on the coils...the one for the outside do nothing when removed. but the other one engine wont start. I think thats the culprit now to price it and if a spark plug is 10 friggin dollars, i dont wanna see the coil pack.

The thing was when i pulled off the wires on outside cylinders, to test spark..i DID get shocked, BUT i have no way of telling if the current is right, meaning its not DEAD just going dead.
            check for water in the connectors. could be causing a short. or post in the parts forum someone is bound to have a spare.

Comment

No volt meter? Ask around they are very common and even a cheap one would tell you if its good or bad. All you have to do is measure resistance between plugs connectors for the secondary coil and + and - connections for the primary coil then see where it is supposed to be. My bike was running ok with more than twice the ohms it should have had through the secondary coils, not saying yours would do the same but maybe check to see if corrosion of plug wire to plug connector could be probable cause or maybe it is arcing through the wire to somewhere else(since you said you got shocked and thats assuming you werent holding the connector directly).
              On the brakes less than the gas,
              More times than not,
              I'M HAULIN ASS!!

Comment

Working...
              X