X

Bad ignition coils?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad ignition coils?

While I was in my Kat again to do some more troubleshooting and cleanup, I decided to test my ignition coils. My manual says it should have 3 to 5 Ohms resistance (I think that was it) at 68 degrees. So I just tested both coils at room temp and they had no resistance at all. I brought one upstairs and held a hairdryer on it until it was significantly warmer than my hand, and still no resistance. Does this mean they are both totally dead? It's an '89 600. And just to make sure, the resistance is measured across the two spade terminals where it hooks into the wiring harness, right?
    Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

no...

There are actually two resistance measurements.
    One high 20 K ohms one low, just a few ohms..

The primary the one with the spades is low.
    You must have some resistance..
    You meter might not be on the right setting..
    You want it on the lowest ohm setting and
    you want the connectors off..

Comment

I have a 89 600 as well that had bad coils BUT resistance wont ever be 0, the longer, thicker or worse condition the wire is in makes the resistance higher not lower, so not that my point is really relivant but just so you know the resistance reading you should have been getting is infinite impedence(Ω) which means the resistance is too high and it is recieving no current back through the negeative test probe. Anyway the volt meter will probably say something along the lines of MΩ with the decimal like " .** " this is milli Ω's a regular Ω setting with no decimal just " * " or " ** " then a setting K Ω decimal like " *.* " which would be "one thousands . hundreds " then another with the decimal like " **. " which would be 1st * - tens of thousands and 2nd * - one thousands. At least this is how mine reads out(Fluke multimeter) and I cant really see how it would be so much different that someone couldnt figure it out. You would want single ohms for the primary coils and tens and one thousands for the secondary coils. Hope I wasnt too confusing and was of at least some help.
      On the brakes less than the gas,
      More times than not,
      I'M HAULIN ASS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        no...

There are actually two resistance measurements.
        One high 20 K ohms one low, just a few ohms..

The primary the one with the spades is low.
        You must have some resistance..
        You meter might not be on the right setting..
        You want it on the lowest ohm setting and
        you want the connectors off..
        I removed all connections from the coil and set my multimeter to the highest sensitivity (ohm x1). The two terminals gave the same results as if I had just touched the probes together (no resistance).

sk8r_opie: as I said before, my multimeter registered no resistance between the terminals: it pegged itself all the way over to 0 Ohms, same as if you touched the probes together. Both coils did this, but I can tell they are deliverying spark by having a plug in a plug wire, grounding the plug body and seeing the arc. It's nice a blue.

I appreciate the help though, guys. I'd like to not spend money if I don't have to!

Comment

Originally posted by Skier
          sk8r_opie: as I said before, my multimeter registered no resistance between the terminals: it pegged itself all the way over to 0 Ohms,
          Oh wait are you using an analog type? the kind with the needle?
          you have to adjust those..

Touch the probes, then turn the adjustment wheel untill the
          needle come off zero then just on zero..
          If this is off 4-5 ohm could read as 0..

Comment

Here are some questions:

1. Is there a major power loss or misfire?
            2. Is the bike running like crap?

If the bike is running just fine, and the above two questions are answered with NO, then dont try to fix something that aint broken.

If you are SURE you are having an issue with your ignition system I would test the resistance of the wires, and check teh plugs before looking at coils. Also, if the coils appear to be at fault, check to make sure that they are plugged in correctly.

-Grimmy
            Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

I had to change a coil on my bike. The bike started well, but above 5 k it would run like crap. I would hold the throttle to a set point and the bike would take 10 seconds to get up there and then fluctuate 400 rpms. Instead of staying at 7300 rpm.

You can use a 600 RF coil on your bike too. I bought mine off ebay.
              Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Originally posted by Skier
                sk8r_opie: as I said before, my multimeter registered no resistance between the terminals: it pegged itself all the way over to 0 Ohms,
                Oh wait are you using an analog type? the kind with the needle?
                you have to adjust those..

Touch the probes, then turn the adjustment wheel untill the
                needle come off zero then just on zero..
                If this is off 4-5 ohm could read as 0..
                Indeed, this was the problem. Both coils clock in at 4 ohms each, properly adjusted. On the bright side, I haven't spent any money on getting new ones, but I might get some to have around for spares, anyways.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                X