Finding an oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding an oil leak

So my kat is weeping oil like a HD.

Enough so that I have to wipe the lower left fairing from time to time. Also I'm starting to get a few oil drops on the rear tire... Not the best thing with only two wheels.

Damn oil is impossible to track the source... Any tips?

TX Barekat
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

I use degreaser to clean everything and then its usually pretty easy to find once it shows up again after a couple rides.

Comment

Degrease the suspected area extremely well. Get some powdered jock rot or foot rot stuff in an spray can and coat the area with the white powder. Start the engine and watch for where the oil seeps out. It will show up spectacularly in the white powder.

Comment

My bike had similar oil displacement as you described from the front fender to the rear end and it ended up being from a leaking oil line, hope its a similar simple quick fix for you

Comment

remember gravity makes it come down and wind makes it travel to the rear

covers can have cracks , after being dropped
          P/O of mine dropped it , didn't look that bad on the outside but when I took it off it showed the crack on the inside

If you pull the cover to replace a gasket , trace the new gasket on cardboard then use the cardboard for a bolt organizer
          Makes keeping the different length bolts in order easier
          Make sure to silicone any areas where there are seams on the case side
          Last edited by rexazz2; 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM.
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

All good suggestions!

Thanks guys.

Rex... donating on Oct. 22.
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post

Rex... donating on Oct. 22.
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                Degrease the suspected area extremely well. Get some powdered jock rot or foot rot stuff in an spray can and coat the area with the white powder. Start the engine and watch for where the oil seeps out. It will show up spectacularly in the white powder.
                Red, I used your suggestion and was able to track the oil leak somewhere above the front drive sprocket.

So I pulled the plastics and found a "fair bit" sitting on top of the transmission area (behind the cylinder, under the carbs). There were no leaks on the bottom of the engine.

Originally posted by Ty2dayok View Post
                My bike had similar oil displacement as you described from the front fender to the rear end and it ended up being from a leaking oil line, hope its a similar simple quick fix for you
                Ty2, I think my leak is an oil line(s).

Based on the schematic below the leak appears to be from the oil supply line. Since there is no catastrophic leak I assume either an o-ring has let go or one of the mounting screws needs to be re-torqued. I may as well just replace all of the o-rings and re-torque everything.

Since it's the end of the season I'll hold of on repairing the leak until next spring... and since I have to pull the carbs to fix the leak I may as well install a factory pro jet kit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BareKat; 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM.
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Since it's the end of the season
                  What do you mean? I ride unless it's icy out there

This is probably the best time of year to be out on a bike, the scenery is beautiful, there are less idiots out, you even get more fuel for your money

Comment

Hey I'm all for riding up until I can't ... I was out today for about 4 hours... thank god for the heated grips.

I did a little mud and dirt too... The adventure guys would be proud of me.

Here is the weather for the rest of the week... not much chance I'll get to ride to work.

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                    What do you mean? I ride unless it's icy out there

This is probably the best time of year to be out on a bike, the scenery is beautiful, there are less idiots out, you even get more fuel for your money
                    Attached Files
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Ya big girl! Ride until it freezes

I've taken my Kat out in -22c on Christmas Day. I'm Scottish, cold itself bothers me not in the slightest. Ice on the road however, is completely different. Ca canny!

Stay safe!

Comment

ditto
                        Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                        Stay safe!
                        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

So it's a new year and my bike is still leaking a bit of oil.

I'll likely buy a new bike next year so I won't be installing a jet kit and I'm too damn lazy to pull all the plastics and carbs to fiddle with the oil supply lines.

It doesn't appear the bike looses much oil but it sure looks like a lot of oil when it's making a mess on the fairing.

Red, I used your suggestion and was able to track the oil leak somewhere above the front drive sprocket.

So I pulled the plastics and found a "fair bit" sitting on top of the transmission area (behind the cylinder, under the carbs). There were no leaks on the bottom of the engine.

Ty2, I think my leak is an oil line(s).

Based on the schematic below the leak appears to be from the oil supply line. Since there is no catastrophic leak I assume either an o-ring has let go or one of the mounting screws needs to be re-torqued. I may as well just replace all of the o-rings and re-torque everything.

Since it's the end of the season I'll hold of on repairing the leak until next spring... and since I have to pull the carbs to fix the leak I may as well install a factory pro jet kit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys.
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                          X